ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of residency and evidence as self employed

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hosok

Proof of residency and evidence as self employed

Post by hosok » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi all!
My wife and I are due to apply for our EEA PR next year. I am a lithuanian citizen and she is a non-eea.
We got married in September 2013 here in the UK. She then left the country to apply for an EEA family permit, and got it in November 2013. She returned to the UK and received her 5-year residence card in March 2014.
As far as I know, we'll be eligible for the EEA PR in September 2018 (5 years after our marriage).
I was, and still am, working as self-employed throughout that time as a private tutor.
I have registered with HMRC in August 2013 and applied to use self-assessment services then too.
I have filled self-assessment tax return for the years: 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017.
We have moved to a different flat in early 2014. We have a record of the tenancy agreement of 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, as well as gas/electricity annual bills for those period of times (it was pre-paid meters), and council tax bills for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. We have now moved to a house that we share, therefore we don't have tenancy agreement (only a license to occupy agreement), nor any bills on our names. The only thing we can possibly apply for in our name is a telephone line (and of course, our mobile lines).

So!
I have two questions, please.

1. as a proof of residency for a continuous 5 years I understand I need to provide 1 document per year. would a 1-month bank statement (joint account with both of our names) would be enough or would I need anything else? I can provide bills, council tax etc. for 2013-2017 but for the last year 2017-2018 I wouldn't be able to. Should I get a telephone line from BT on our names, or would we not need that extra evidence?

2. As an evidence of exercising my treaty rights as self-employed, I understand that HO only requires a proof of self-assessment from HMRC. Would it be enough to send my tax calculation for each year? so 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18 (next year)?
I can also provide invoices and bank statements to show for, but after reading the guidance notes I'm pretty sure they won't be interested, as long as I provide the tax calculation from HMRC...?

I am looking for some re-assurance :)
Many thanks!

hosok

Re: Proof of residency and evidence as self employed

Post by hosok » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:39 am

and just to make my question about self-employment clearer:
It says:
"We accept any one of the following, covering the relevant qualifying period:
* proof of self-assessment with HMRC 

* business accounts 

* P60s, including tax and National Insurance contributions for the relevant qualifying period 

If you are able to send these, you do not need to provide additional evidence of self-employment."

What is a proof of self-assessment with HMRC?
Because below that, in the guidance, are categories in which, to my understanding, you need to provide one piece of evidence for each your from EACH one of the first 3 categories. One of the evidences are Tax calculation for example, or a confirmation of sending a tax return.
So that leads me to ask again - What is a proof of self assessment with HMRC? :?

Thanks

jaecd
Newly Registered

Post by jaecd » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 am

Self assessment is a tool of tax collection.
So proof of self assessment with hmrc mean proof of income tax payments to hmrc

hosok

Post by hosok » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:52 am

Yeah but a proof of payment to HMRC is in category one which you may use if you are unable to send a proof of self assessment with HMRC so I am not too sure what to do.

hosok

Post by hosok » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:52 am

Does anybody have any idea with regards to that? Proof of self-assessment, in what is that different than the categories mentioned below that section in the guidance notes?
Also, would you be able to assist with the proof of address issue for our last year (no utility bills, only bank statement). Should I get a telephone line from BT/SKY or is it pointless as a proof of residency in the UK?

Thanks

hosok

Post by hosok » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Literally nobody knows? :(

2unlimited
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by 2unlimited » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:02 am

Any updates since?
Did you guys find out answer to hosok question?
Looks like usual HO ploy to give you headache.
If you ask them over the phone, they will not explain just repeat back to you.
I would say the document they are referring to does not exist. Most do self-assesment (SA) online these days so you only get a confirmation code electronically.it is not an official document.
I have not seen such a proof whereas HMRC confirms that your SA is ok & you paid right amount of tax.
On the guidance they say that online statements require physical stamps from a bank.I cannot see this hsmappening as no bank will stamp your online printed statement afaik but will issue one at branch if you paying tbem a small nominal fee.
So I would presume HO would require a stamp also from HMRC if you could come up somehow with a digital proof of self assesment. I cannot see that happening.
So this looks like dead end except it I am missing something here.
Anybody any update.
Brexit now looming.
Thanks guys