ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC for EU national

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Watandar
Netherlands

BC for EU national

Post by Watandar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Dear members,

I have been in the UK since 2012 I was wondering if I can apply for BC after 5 years?

- As an EU national you do not get a stamp in the passport, how can an EU national proof he/she has been in the UK for atleast 5 years?

- Do EU nationals have to pass language test and life in the UK in order to qualify for BC?

I would appreciate it if someone can explain me the BC process/requirements for EU nationals.

Thank you in advance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: BC for EU national

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:18 am

Yes you need to meet the English requirement and LIUK.

You also must also have a DCPR (Document certifying permanent residence), so you will need to apply for that first if you don't already have one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

Unless you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you will need to have been in the UK for at least 6 years before you can apply. It takes 5 years to get PR and then you need to have held that status for at least a year before you can apply. So you'd normally be able to apply in 2018 provided you meet all other requirements for BC :-)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

lulu2
Newly Registered

Post by lulu2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:38 pm

You prove that you have been here for 5 years when you apply for PR.
This involves sending various documents like bank statements, P60s, bills, etc which will prove that you have been in the country during the 5 years.

Watandar
Netherlands

Post by Watandar » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:42 pm

CR001 wrote:Yes you need to meet the English requirement and LIUK.

You also must also have a DCPR (Document certifying permanent residence), so you will need to apply for that first if you don't already have one.
Thank you for the info. When I came to the UK in 2012, i did not apply for a resident card, can I still apply for DCPR?

lulu2
Newly Registered

Post by lulu2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

You can apply at any time so long as you meet all the criteria for the 5 years.