ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit and housing benefit effects on ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

afzalfinance

Child tax credit and housing benefit effects on ILR

Post by afzalfinance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:05 am

Hello everyone.
I need some help on following and I hope that I will get answers here.

I got British Nationality in May 2017 through PBS, Tier 1 (General). My wife and two kids (Not born in UK and thus not British natioanl) are my dependants and they will qualify for ILR in June 2018. At the moment they have a visa of Tier (1) dependant and no access to public funds.

I am living in tight financial situation and hope that I qualify for some benefits namely, Child tax credit and housing benefit.I intend to apply for these but I was not sure of its effects on my spouse and kids ILR which is due next year.

If I apply for Chidl tax credit in joint name then at the time of applying ILR for my wife and kids what will I write in Section 5 page 17 question 5.5- Are you receiving any public funds?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -04-17.pdf

I understand from previous posts that my kids are not claiming so i will mark NO in their application but what happens in my spouse case?

Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,
God help those who help themselves

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child tax credit and housing benefit effects on ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 am

As has been repeated so many times on the forum, child benefit in YOUR name only. Child tax credits must be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse. NO effect on ILR if claimed correctly like this.

HB depends on your personal circumstances but you should only get single plus child rate and NOT couple rate. However if your spouse works, her income will be taken into account to calculate YOUR eligibility.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 am

CR001 wrote:As has been repeated so many times on the forum, child benefit in YOUR name only. Child tax credits must be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse. NO effect on ILR if claimed correctly like this.

HB depends on your personal circumstances but you should only get single plus child rate and NOT couple rate. However if your spouse works, her income will be taken into account to calculate YOUR eligibility.
Thank you very much CR001
Your are always so kind and helpful

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:42 am

afzalfinance wrote:Hello everyone.
I need some help on following and I hope that I will get answers here.

I got British Nationality in May 2017 through PBS, Tier 1 (General). My wife and two kids (Not born in UK and thus not British natioanl) are my dependants and they will qualify for ILR in June 2018. At the moment they have a visa of Tier (1) dependant and no access to public funds.

I am living in tight financial situation and hope that I qualify for some benefits namely, Child tax credit and housing benefit.I intend to apply for these but I was not sure of its effects on my spouse and kids ILR which is due next year.

If I apply for Chidl tax credit in joint name then at the time of applying ILR for my wife and kids what will I write in Section 5 page 17 question 5.5- Are you receiving any public funds?

I understand from previous posts that my kids are not claiming so i will mark NO in their application but what happens in my spouse case?

Please guide me.

Thanks and Regards,
I still need answer on following of my post. THANKS:
If I apply for Child tax credit in joint name then at the time of applying ILR for my wife and kids what will I write in Section 5 page 17 question 5.5- Are you receiving any public funds?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 am

No effect on visa or ILR, I have made this point already!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

afzalfinance

Post by afzalfinance » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 am

CR001 wrote:No effect on visa or ILR, I have made this point already!!
Thanks CR001. I got that point but what I am asking IS that in my spouse application should we BE markIing it YES or NO?

paru.org
India

Post by paru.org » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:18 pm

same question:

my spouse application should we BE markIing it YES or NO
afzalfinance wrote:
CR001 wrote:No effect on visa or ILR, I have made this point already!!
Thanks CR001. I got that point but what I am asking IS that in my spouse application should we BE markIing it YES or NO?