ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Aadhaar Card for OCI holders

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ILR4PVM

Aadhaar Card for OCI holders

Post by ILR4PVM » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:24 pm

To all fellow OCI holders out there... now that Aadhaar ID is being linked to every tiny bit of information about a desi trying to survive in India, the day wont be far when you will need one even to take a dump :twisted: .

1. There are all sorts of contradictory information about aadhaar validity for NRIs, foreigners & OCI card holders - What exactly is the rule for OCI ? The declaration in the aadhaar application form says "I confirm that I have been residing in India for at least 182 days in the preceding 12 months...."

2. In the application form, there is no field for 'Nationality'. how strange is that for a country where official forms routinely ask about 'Caste'.

3. Permanent address, Indian mobile number - How does this work for OCI holders ? Is a UK address admissible? Isn't it easier to give the Indian address if you have one ?

4. Verification type: Now looking at the document proofs needed - it is just proof of identity, DOB & address - all of which can be proved by a myriad of Indian documents. So where exactly do you have to declare your OCI status if it is needed ?

Would like to hear from other OCI holders' experience.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Aadhaar Card for OCI holders

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:04 am

ILR4PVM wrote:To all fellow OCI holders out there... now that Aadhaar ID is being linked to every tiny bit of information about a desi trying to survive in India, the day wont be far when you will need one even to take a dump :twisted: .

1. There are all sorts of contradictory information about aadhaar validity for NRIs, foreigners & OCI card holders - What exactly is the rule for OCI ? The declaration in the aadhaar application form says "I confirm that I have been residing in India for at least 182 days in the preceding 12 months...."

2. In the application form, there is no field for 'Nationality'. how strange is that for a country where official forms routinely ask about 'Caste'.

3. Permanent address, Indian mobile number - How does this work for OCI holders ? Is a UK address admissible? Isn't it easier to give the Indian address if you have one ?

4. Verification type: Now looking at the document proofs needed - it is just proof of identity, DOB & address - all of which can be proved by a myriad of Indian documents. So where exactly do you have to declare your OCI status if it is needed ?

Would like to hear from other OCI holders' experience.
Sorry, I'm at a loss here. The reason you are applying for OCI is because you are not an Indian Citizen. So technically you shouldn't have/given up your Aadhar card. End of...
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

ILR4PVM

Post by ILR4PVM » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Hmm.. not really and this is the gist of my query. Nationality seems to have nothing to do with getting an Aadhaar ID, a bit like SSN in USA or NI in UK.It seems Foreigners can get an aadhaar if they are staying for more than 182 days in the past 12 months and how it is being checked is also questionable.

Has any oci holder living in the uk or anywhere else managed to get an aadhaar id ? Did you submit passport / oci proofs or just indian documents like Pan / Drivers License / Ration card / Voters ID etc ? Is the nationality checked in the background before issuing the aadhaar id ?

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:04 pm

ILR4PVM wrote:Hmm.. not really and this is the gist of my query. Nationality seems to have nothing to do with getting an Aadhaar ID, a bit like SSN in USA or NI in UK.It seems Foreigners can get an aadhaar if they are staying for more than 182 days in the past 12 months and how it is being checked is also questionable.

Has any oci holder living in the uk or anywhere else managed to get an aadhaar id ? Did you submit passport / oci proofs or just indian documents like Pan / Drivers License / Ration card / Voters ID etc ? Is the nationality checked in the background before issuing the aadhaar id ?
Isn't PAN card supposed to be equivalent of SSN or NI?
Life's too short .. Take it easy !