ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Query

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

cdraina

Council Tax Query

Post by cdraina » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:31 am

Hi,

I plan to move to Scotland very soon. Have a question regarding council tax. Please help with your experience if you can.

I understand that the Council Tax is based on valuation (banding)of the house. Does it also factor in the number of people living in the house? I will be living with my spouse and new-born kid, the council site mentions 1500 GBP per year for the kind of house I look forward to living in. What factor should I multiply this number by to calculate my total outlay on council tax?

Thanks,
CD

gorajim

Post by gorajim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 am

Hiya,

Your Council tax depends on various factors, like your House Band, costs of policing your area and a couple of other factors as mentioned in the Council Tax bill. My CT bill always has a breakup of the factors contributing to it.

It does NOT, however, depend on the number of occupants in the household. However, there are exceptions to this... E.g., if your home is unfurnished and left unoccupied for a while, you are entitled to pay little or no tax, or, if there is a senior citizen or student living with you, you are entitled to a lower rate, etc.

But going by your family, I don't perceive a lower rate. Just speak to the council officials...

Cheers.