ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Child Born In India. How To Get Him Out of India?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sajisays
Newly Registered

British Child Born In India. How To Get Him Out of India?

Post by sajisays » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am

Greetings all forum members.

I am looking for advice on how to take my son back to live in UK. First I will outline some key facts of the case:

I am the father. I am British by birth, my parents are British and we have no family connection to India at all. The only link with India is that I married an Indian lady, and she has given birth to our son in Chennai in March 2016. She applied for his British passport from Chennai (he is British by decent through me as his father). The passport was received in December 2016.

My wife has now applied for her own visa to come and settle here in the UK with me. Her visa will hopefully be granted and received within the next month as it has been around 30 days since she applied for her settlement visa. Her passport is away for this purpose.

Meanwhile it has come to our attention that there will be a problem getting our son out of India. He has a British passport (never had an Indian one) granted in December 2016. It is now July 2017 and he has no visa or anything attached in his passport. He has never been registered at FRRO. We really need to know our options now, of how we can prepare his situation so we can leave India with him as soon as my wife gets her visa. According to new UK rules, once she gets her settlement visa, she has only 30 days to reach UK and collect her Biometric Residence Permit at the post office in UK. For this reason we can not afford to wait for her visa to arrive before we start work on our son's situation.

Any help and advice of our options is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

MrSlyFox

Re: British Child Born In India. How To Get Him Out of India

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:22 pm

sajisays wrote: I am looking for advice on how to take my son back to live in UK.
Okay, so it isn't a UK issue because he is a British Citizen with a British Passport.
sajisays wrote: applied for his British passport from Chennai (he is British by decent through me as his father). The passport was received in December 2016.
So this is an issue with him being allowed to leave India? (think this is the wrong thread)
sajisays wrote: Meanwhile it has come to our attention that there will be a problem getting our son out of India. He has a British passport (never had an Indian one) granted in December 2016. It is now July 2017 and he has no visa or anything attached in his passport. He has never been registered at FRRO.
My understanding is you need to get a visa from FRRO, so should not just be applying for that now?
- http://nriinformation.com/faq2/question209.htm

sajisays
Newly Registered

Post by sajisays » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi. Thanks for the reply. You are correct, it is not strictly a question about British Citizenship, but it is a situation that I'm sure many others have found themselves in after having applied for British Citizenship for a child they have given birth to in India.

We have already contacted Mr. Chand as per your link and are waiting for a reply from him. The link you specified was regarding OCI for the child. It all sounds well and good in that thread, but I believe OCI takes 8 to 10 weeks to acquire from time of application. We obviously can't afford to wait that long as it will interfere with my wife getting to the UK during the allotted 30 days of her settlement visa. The thing which Mr. Chand mentions as 'New Visa' is now an online process. I don't know how old his thread is. In the online system, selecting 'New Visa' and proceeding to fill out the form, we are eventually faced with a drop-down list of categories to choose from. The only two which would seem applicable to us are 'Visit Visa' or 'Entry Visa'. I am clueless as to which is the correct one.
We could really do with real life experiences of someone who has successfully done it in recent times since the online system has been in place. There is no question of a single mother with baby going all the way to Dehli from Chennai to obtain this envelope that Mr Chand mentions. Surely we can use a courier or an alternative location in Chennai instead of Delhi? This is turning into a nightmare for us. Thanks again.

Macro_Run
Member of Standing

Post by Macro_Run » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:39 pm

You read the comments properly in this page.

british-citizenship/british-passport-fo ... l#p1479051

sajisays
Newly Registered

Post by sajisays » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:53 pm

Macro_Run. Thanks a lot. That thread has been most helpful in aiding our understanding of the system.