ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I entitled to Child Benefits or Child Tax Credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sunoo

Am I entitled to Child Benefits or Child Tax Credits

Post by sunoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 am

Hi,

I am naturalized British citizen and successfully applied my Mrs spouse visa last year and she came to UK in Nov 2016. We are expecting our first baby in few weeks. I have my own place to live which we currently have a mortgage on. My wife didn't work since she came to UK. I am working full time and never claimed any benefits in the past. My current salary package is 65k+.

Am I entitled to child benefits or child tax credits and if I am then will that effect my Mrs future visa application for extension?

Thanks

sunoo

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Am I entitled to Child Benefits or Child Tax Credits

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am

Child tax credits no as you are a high earner.

Child benefits, maybe but there were changes a couple of years ago for people who earn more than £50k.

Do the benefits calculator below, but I doubt you will be entitled to any given the level of salary you are on.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants

IF you can claim, child benefits must be in your name ONLY.

Tax credits must be in joint names with your spouse, but as I said, you likely won't qualify for this due to your high salary.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sunoo

Post by sunoo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 am

CR001 wrote:Child tax credits no as you are a high earner.

Child benefits, maybe but there were changes a couple of years ago for people who earn more than £50k.

Do the benefits calculator below, but I doubt you will be entitled to any given the level of salary you are on.

Tax credits must be in joint names with your spouse, but as I said, you likely won't qualify for this due to your high salary.

Thanks CR001. I put in all the information on the link you have provided and it seems I am not entitled to anything at all. Not even the £17 a British child usually gets until the age of 16?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 am

sunoo wrote:Thanks CR001. I put in all the information on the link you have provided and it seems I am not entitled to anything at all. Not even the £17 a British child usually gets until the age of 16?
A child doesn't get it or apply for the £20-50 child benefit. The parent applies for it and must qualify.

Benefits are there to help people on low incomes, which is not applicable to you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 am

sunoo wrote:
CR001 wrote:Child tax credits no as you are a high earner.

Thanks CR001. I put in all the information on the link you have provided and it seems I am not entitled to anything at all. Not even the £17 a British child usually gets until the age of 16?
You can claim it, but it will be recovered back by the gov in higher tax.

Benefits are to help those on the breadline, not high earners so I wouldn't beef about it.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

londonukguy

Post by londonukguy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:32 pm

By the way if someone can qualify for child tax credit and child benefit in that case does it effect future spouse visa extension application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm

londonukguy wrote:By the way if someone can qualify for child tax credit and child benefit in that case does it effect future spouse visa extension application?
No. Please ask your questions in your own topic.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Wanderer wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:28 am
Benefits are to help those on the breadline, not high earners so I wouldn't beef about it.
When child benefit was introduced, the tax allowance for children was transferred to the mother via child benefit rather than being of direct benefit to the tax payer in the household. Historically, the OP has a fair beef.