ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizenship by descend

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

david4wt
Newly Registered
Italy

british citizenship by descend

Post by david4wt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm having a hard time understanding whether I'm a British citizen or not. I was born in Italy in 1992 to a British mother (by birth, she emigrated here as an adult). All my life I've just been an Italian citizen. Am I correct in understanding that I've actually also been a British citizen automatically since birth, and I can directly apply for a passport? There is no need for me to register as citizen...?
I realise this question must be asked very frequently, and I apologize but I find the whole matter very confusing and the www.gov.uk website not very helpful.

Thank you!

David

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: british citizenship by descend

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Yes, as you were born after 1 January 1983, you are automatically British by Descent if born to a British born mother, i.e. not just born in Britain but born to British or Settled parents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

david4wt
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by david4wt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Thank you very much @CR001! So I can rightfully claim to be a British citizen, and in the mean time I can just apply for a passport through this procedure: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport ?
Thank you again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Yes
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

david4wt
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by david4wt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Thank you again! You've made my day.
All the best