ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

One of RTI been sent zero by employer/accountant

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

legalkhan
Pakistan

One of RTI been sent zero by employer/accountant

Post by legalkhan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Dear forum members/ moderators.
I have been waiting for ILR decesion and my wife's application FLR(m) application on hold due to my pending ILR. My question is that one of my wife's payslip(March) is showing 0 payment cos by mistake the accountant/employer sent a Zero RTI but the payment has been made in her account. She had worked that month. What can be done to rectify this mistake??? The employer is ready to give me in written that it was his mistake. Please I would need senior/ moderator help here.
Thanks.

legalkhan
Pakistan

Re: One of RTI been sent zero by employer/accountant

Post by legalkhan » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Anybody there to give us some advice? Please zimba if u give ur opinion that would be really appreciated. You are always helpful.

Thanks.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:21 pm

legalkhan wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 pm
Dear forum members/ moderators.
I have been waiting for ILR decesion and my wife's application FLR(m) application on hold due to my pending ILR. My question is that one of my wife's payslip(March) is showing 0 payment cos by mistake the accountant/employer sent a Zero RTI but the payment has been made in her account. She had worked that month. What can be done to rectify this mistake??? The employer is ready to give me in written that it was his mistake. Please I would need senior/ moderator help here.
Thanks.
Hi,

Sorry not too sure what an RTI is, but if the employer is willing to write you a confirmation letter and on top of that she was paid for that month the employer can also confirm what was paid into their account.

Also, if it is an error on employers side and it was a £0 payslip, meaning she would not have paid tax or NI that month, obviously if it has been corrected then HMRC should have sent an updated figure to employer on how much to deduct the last months deductibles on next months pay.

Otherwise I can only assume HMRC would have been underpaid on tax and NI as the employee was paid through their account but HMRC were incorrectly informed.

I hope it helps somewhat.

Hi just searched up RTI, basically it's sending employees wages info every time just before they get paid, before it was only required once a year/annual tax year.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Just to pick where on the above, did she not get a p60 in April(or after) as it is the end and start of the old/new tax year. Any adjustments or corrections would have been shown in the p60, no?

I can only assume (not a tax expert) that the gross amount of pay for the whole tax year (regardless of when she might have started inbetween that time) should still be the same if the corrections where made in the p60. Other wise there will be a variance in what she has been paid and what HMRC have. Hope this helps somewhat.

legalkhan
Pakistan

Post by legalkhan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 am

Thanks CMOSUK for such a comprehensive reply, actually in p60 that month pay is missing if we calculate the figure given in P60. She realized it when they sent her the payslips for the last few months in June. Their accountant says its not possible to rectify the error as the previous payrol account has been closed and the other thing is my wife is not working with them any more. Is there no way to rectify this error in previous year?? Or rven if they give her that letter still the record in HMRC and the one we have won't match. She was a part time worker, its only the employee contribution she has to pay. Please CMOSUK could u suggest whatelse could be done?.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:05 am

legalkhan wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 am
Thanks CMOSUK for such a comprehensive reply, actually in p60 that month pay is missing if we calculate the figure given in P60. She realized it when they sent her the payslips for the last few months in June. Their accountant says its not possible to rectify the error as the previous payrol account has been closed and the other thing is my wife is not working with them any more. Is there no way to rectify this error in previous year?? Or rven if they give her that letter still the record in HMRC and the one we have won't match. She was a part time worker, its only the employee contribution she has to pay. Please CMOSUK could u suggest whatelse could be done?.
Is she still able to attain a letter of confirmation from the employer who paid her that month of wages, the amount and can confirm it was the employers mistake to properly update HMRC through PAYE Rti? If so, She would then need to forward those details to HMRC for them to calculate if any tax or NI is owed. Possibly even give them a copy of the bank statement to show it has been paid but incorrect Information was given by the employer and you would also have a £0 payslip as proof the Info they received was incorrect and your were paid.

The only thing is, it might show up on her P60 for 2017/18 as for the financial year 2016/17 is now ended(april).

The other thing you may have to enquire from the employer that made the mistake and paid her was if any tax or ni was deducted when it was credited to the account.

Again, if HMRC accept this information always ask then if it can be backed up with a letter to show to the home office. I would would also write a covering letter to explain.

I would also suggest maybe seeing a competent accountant and asking them about this. Hope this helps somewhat.

Abc499

Post by Abc499 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am

legalkhan wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 am
Their accountant says its not possible to rectify the error as the previous payrol account has been closed
it is not impossible to correct it if they really want to.

"If you’ve reported the wrong pay or deductions
To correct a mistake made in the current tax year, update the year-to-date figures in your next regular Full Payment Submission (FPS).

For previous tax years, send an Earlier Year Update (EYU) showing the difference between what you originally reported and the correct figure. If your payroll software can’t send an EYU, you can use HMRC’s Basic PAYE Tools.

You can only use an EYU for tax years when you were reporting online in real time.
The rules are different if you find a mistake in your final FPS of the year."

your case I believe it was the final one

"If you make a mistake
If you find a mistake in your final FPS of the year, what you need to do depends on the type of mistake and when you find it.

Mistake When What to do
Wrong payments or deductions By 19 April Send an additional FPS with corrected year-to-date figures, and enter ‘0’ in ‘Pay in this period’
Wrong payments or deductions After 19 April Send an EYU showing the difference between the amounts on the wrong FPS and the correct year-to-date amounts - don’t give the year-to-date amounts
Wrong payment date By 5 April Send an additional FPS with the correct payment date - put ‘0’ in ‘Pay in this period’ and give the year-to-date figures"

check this link: https://www.gov.uk/payroll-errors/corre ... fps-or-eps

legalkhan
Pakistan

Post by legalkhan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:51 am

Thank you CMOSUK and ABC499 for your valuable information. I will do exactly the way u advised. Have already talk to accountant, he said earlier year update can be carried out to rectify the error but he also said that most employer/accountant would reluctant to use earlier update even if it is their mistake but by pushing them hard might make them do it for u. Anyway way would also give a go according to your suggestion and let see how it goes. Otherwise as CMOSUK says, I will conact HMRC directly by getting in written from employer.

I really appreciate your valuable advice and very thankful to u both.

Thanks