ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Whats the date?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Whats the date?

Post by siobhan78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 am

Hi,

I am about to apply for citizenship this week, and have one question:

It says to apply for British citizenship I need to have held PR for 12 months.

When I applied for my permanent residence, the approval letter I got back states in the letter that I have been granted permanent residence from Sep. 2016, but the PR document states it was issued in Nov. 2016.

Am I right in saying I can apply for citizenship in Sep. 17 as its 12 months ago this was granted?

Thank you.

Siobhan

zapzap

Re: Whats the date?

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:00 am

Yes, you can apply any time after the September 2017 date

I'll recommend you to apply via Nationality Checking Service https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ng-service

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 am

If you live in London, find the list below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... g-services

Most of them offer Joint Citizenship and Passport (JCAP) and you won't have to attend a passport interview

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by siobhan78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

Hi Zapzap....Thanks for that, is there any benefit in using Nationality checking service? I did the PR thing myself. Looks straight forward.

Thanks.

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:00 am

Hi siobhan78

If you do it through the NCS then you will keep your originals (passports, DCPR or PR and another docs so you are free to travel while its being process)

The NCS officer will check your application for a small fee of £65 approx and will photocopy all the documents and will give you a copy of the LIUK test as this is the only original they need.

All the best

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:17 am

siobhan78 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am
Hi Zapzap....Thanks for that, is there any benefit in using Nationality checking service? I did the PR thing myself. Looks straight forward.

Thanks.
Beside keeping all your original documents (passport included), you can apply for citizenship and British Passport at the same time. You can't do this is you apply by post yourself.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Another Question, help?

Post by siobhan78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Another question: Even though I was granted PR, I have been informed by the Identity self-checking service that I need to provide 5 years of employment, in form of P60 etc.
Can anything else be used, such as employment contract?

Thanks

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm

Yes, as you are European your passport doesn't get stamped so you will need to provide your P60's for the past 5 years

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:59 pm

I advise you to contact HMRC to request a statement of your tax records and National Insurance contributions to prove you were resident in the UK the last 5 years

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by siobhan78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

ZapZap:

Will my employment contract be enough? Or bank statement showing my wages going in?

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

It takes up to two weeks to get the statement of your tax records and NI contributions. If I were you I would play safe and provide them this info.

EEA National
Bulgaria

Post by EEA National » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

siobhan78 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm
ZapZap:

Will my employment contract be enough? Or bank statement showing my wages going in?
Contract, P60, bank statement, more the better

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by siobhan78 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Hi Zap Zap.

I have gone online to HRMC on their gateway. I can see and download statement of my National Insurance record,

Any good? That's what I need isn't it????

zapzap

Post by zapzap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:23 pm

yes, that will be all

Right
Bulgaria

Post by Right » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:07 pm

siobhan78 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:53 pm
Hi Zap Zap.

I have gone online to HRMC on their gateway. I can see and download statement of my National Insurance record,

Any good? That's what I need isn't it????
Hi. I found your thread very useful but I cannot find this option to download the statement of NI record. Can you please point me to where exactly on the government gateway is it?

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by siobhan78 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi,

You need to register on https://myaccount.gateway.gov.uk/Pages/ ... serId.aspx

if youre already registered go to your homepage and select your tax records, left hand side in one of the boxes.
Or look for something called national contribution statement.

Should give you statement and overview of employers.

Did that work for you? Getting nervous now, submitting on Friday by myself.
I didn't have 5 years of P60 but have national contribution statement, contracts, bank statements covering 5 years. But Ill include more.

resolute
Newly Registered

Post by resolute » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:04 pm

siobhan78 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

Thanks.
When applying for my wife's Citizenship, we used the JCAP Nationality Checking Service. I would agree that the filling in the application form and collecting supporting documents would be quite straightforward for most people. The main advantage of NCS is that you can submit the passport application at the same time as the Citizenship application, but if this is not important to you I would say do it yourself. I did feel that the NCS officer tried to interfere a bit with the actual documents we wanted to include - she was trying to say 'you don't need this one or that one' but we had carefully thought out what documents to include and didn't want to change them. I was also not confident that everything was correctly photocopied (i.e. all relevant pages of every passport supplied), nor that the final bundle of documents was provided in the correct order, the way we had presented them. I would be interested to know if anyone else had a similar experience with NCS.

siobhan78
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by siobhan78 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Hi resolute.

What documents did you include in your wife's application. Would be nice to know so I am sure to include everything. Thanks a lot.