ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US or UK !!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ec_struggle
Newly Registered

US or UK !!

Post by ec_struggle » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi,

I have HSMP and my fiancee has US H1.
I'm in a dilemma whether to go to US after getting an H1 or be in UK on HSMP. Hows the job market, tax system ,cost of living etc when we compare both of these countries?

Whoever has been to both these places , Please share your thoughts..

G Ghuman
Newly Registered

UK HSMP is preferable

Post by G Ghuman » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:34 am

Hi I have visited both places.
I know settlement in USA is very difficult process as I have seen my own family member suffer in this category. Even after 7 years of being on this Visa he is still no where.
Whereas the UK HSMP route will lead to Naturalisation in UK after about 6 years of legal and continuous stay in UK, if you always follow the rules, remain in status, pay your taxes etc etc.,

namastelondon

Post by namastelondon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 am

Do u have H1 or ur fiancee have H1. If u do not have H1 then u cannot work. Dependent genrerally get H4 and cannot work on that visa

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 am

US or UK depends on what is your goal...If settlement is your goal...US may be still easy...they dont revisit the process every now and then..its simple, clear and straight forward...The only pain right now is getting your H1, if you have H1, I dont see any reason why you should go for HSMP....US anytime is better

SYH
BANNED

Re: UK HSMP is preferable

Post by SYH » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:38 pm

G Ghuman wrote:Hi I have visited both places.
I know settlement in USA is very difficult process as I have seen my own family member suffer in this category. Even after 7 years of being on this Visa he is still no where.
Whereas the UK HSMP route will lead to Naturalisation in UK after about 6 years of legal and continuous stay in UK, if you always follow the rules, remain in status, pay your taxes etc etc.,
With the proposed changes in the UK, it might take just as long than it does in the US, and it isn't straightforward either.

reincarnation

Post by reincarnation » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Settlement / GC in the US is very much dependent on from which state you apply...East and West coasts are always in a big rush..you need to wait...But if you apply anywhere in the Mid-west..you get it fairly quicker...I've known ppl getting in under 5 years..and once you cross a certain stage in your process, your H1 visa keeps getting renewed further untill you get your GC. You dont have to prove a single thing to the INS as opposed to UK...

msharm4
Newly Registered

US!

Post by msharm4 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:54 pm

If you are getting a good job in the US, you should go there. Getting a good job in the UK is a pain and then the expenses go through the roof! My family members are in the US and make good money and especially good savings. You dont need to be a citizen or green card holder. As long as your visa is valid, you're going to be fine.

US wins hands down. I wish I was in your place!

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:34 pm

You wont get a job in UK unless u r in country...Simple..Infact now a days it is becoming to get a job even while IN UK...There are a lot of local and EU candidates available

nshar1

Go For HSMP

Post by nshar1 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:28 pm

US is already in recession and I think it will continue for some time. Things are really bad in US during recessions and especially for people on H1.

UK is a more stable country from stability perspective. In the present circumstances UK is the better option. Atleast nobody can tell you to leave the country one fine morning(This is very much possible in US on H1). Beware the job market in UK also is slow right now.

However, Standard of living and cost of living wise US is a far better place.