ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FAO All Overstayers planning to leave the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

guli
Newly Registered

FAO All Overstayers planning to leave the UK

Post by guli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:10 pm

As we all know, there are random checks in the airport now at exit control and it seems to worry a lot of overstayers who plan to leave the country willingly.

As tax avoidance is legal and tax evasion is not, I hope I am not breaking any rules to suggest this method of avoidance of the random checks entirely.

You must have visa-free entry to Ireland to do this legally. You can travel by sea to Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK. then travel to Dublin Airport by land under the CTA (Common Travel Area) agreement. There are random checks too, but are very sporadic. You then fly out to your home country from Dublin International Airport.

This is just a suggestion, I hope it gives overstayers another option to consider. Mods, please remove this post if this suggestion is in a gray area and not considered legal.

Thanks
Last edited by guli on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

You omit to mention that the UK have plans to end the Common Travel Area and to stick immgration on the border.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

guli
Newly Registered

Post by guli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 pm

VictoriaS wrote:You omit to mention that the UK have plans to end the Common Travel Area and to stick immgration on the border.

Victoria
I agree Victoria, UK have plans, but I think it's going to be a highly debatable issue that will drag on. The UK/Ireland borders are not really planned properly, some buildings are even between borders! It will be hard to implement with many smaller roads, but certainly not impossible as happened during the Troubles.

Also, if UK ends CTA, it might mean/force UK to join the Schengen Travel Agreement. You might know more about the history and agenda behind CTA.

Coincidentally, I live at the borders of Northern Ireland and drive to the south to get petrol (legal, or rather no law against it, yet)

Thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:27 pm

guli wrote:I agree Victoria, UK have plans, but I think it's going to be a highly debatable issue that will drag on. The UK/Ireland borders are not really planned properly, some buildings are even between borders! It will be hard to implement with many smaller roads, but certainly not impossible as happened during the Troubles.

Also, if UK ends CTA, it might mean/force UK to join the Schengen Travel Agreement. You might know more about the history and agenda behind CTA.

Coincidentally, I live at the borders of Northern Ireland and drive to the south to get petrol (legal, or rather no law against it, yet)

Thanks
I thought the plan was to leave the northern-republic of ireland border open but stick immigration control between northern ireland and the rest of the UK.

guli
Newly Registered

Post by guli » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:37 pm

paulp wrote: I thought the plan was to leave the northern-republic of ireland border open but stick immigration control between northern ireland and the rest of the UK.
I'm not sure the actual plans are, but there are already random immigration control (more like identity check but they are IO officers, not police) when you fly in from mainland UK airports to Northern Irish airport nowadays.

In fact, before the 1998 Peace agreement, there were police control when you fly either ways between mainland UK and Northern Irish airports all the time.

Thanks

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:33 pm

guli wrote:I'm not sure the actual plans are, but there are already random immigration control (more like identity check but they are IO officers, not police) when you fly in from mainland UK airports to Northern Irish airport nowadays.

In fact, before the 1998 Peace agreement, there were police control when you fly either ways between mainland UK and Northern Irish airports all the time.

Thanks
Border control will probably be introduced at the ferry terminals as well.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:16 am

guli wrote:Also, if UK ends CTA, it might mean/force UK to join the Schengen Travel Agreement. You might know more about the history and agenda behind CTA.
The end of the Common Travel Area wouldn't force the UK to join the Schengen area. Ireland would like to be part of the Schengen area (or so it said when the area was implemented), but it was faced, essentially, with a choice between joining the Schengen area and remaining in the Common Travel Area because the UK decided not to be part of the Schengen zone.

Of course, the UK can change its mind about being part of the Schengen zone, but the end of the Common Travel Area wouldn't mean that it had to join the Schengen zone.

There have never been routine immigration controls in the ordinary sense of the word between the UK and Ireland. (The controls that existed during "the troubles" were not "routine".) However, recently Ireland seems to have started imposing immigration checks for incoming air passengers from the UK (and sometimes for land travellers from Northern Ireland as well).

If routine immigration checks are started, it will be a very big change: if imposed in the ordinary way (i.e. UK-Republic of Ireland), that would mean immigration control on the land border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, which will have unpleasant connotations for a lot of people and create practical difficulties for what are, after all, two very closely integrated societies in lots of ways.

On the other hand, if there were checks between mainland UK (i.e. Great Britain, essentially) and the island of Ireland, as has been suggested and is noted above, that would equally have unpleasant connotations for a lot of people as well, and moreover it would be a highly irregular situation in terms of ordinary international practice.

Either system could be implemented if the two governments chose to do it, but neither would be entirely straightforward.

guli
Newly Registered

Post by guli » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks for your detailed explaination, Christophe!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:07 am

It is unlikely that the Republic of Ireland would join Schengen as long as the United Kingdom stays out.

Even if the CTA in its current form is ended, border controls on the frontier with Northern Ireland are currently "light-touch".

This would change radically if the Republic became part of Schengen and it was suddenly possible for people seeking to get into the U.K. illegally to fly to Ireland from Continental Europe on a "domestic" flight with a plan to get into Northern Ireland over the land frontier.

I doubt that communities on the Irish border would appreciate the impact of stringent British border checks.