ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship status - Barbados

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

elrajajo
Newly Registered
Barbados

British citizenship status - Barbados

Post by elrajajo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:12 am

Hello, Can anyone help to say whether I still need to register or naturalise or not?

-44 years in UK (arrived from Barbados 1973 age 20),
-father had British passport before Barbados independence 1966 (he moved to uk 1953),
-my passport is Barbadian and the original one states "moved to UK to be with parents",
-40 year relationship with British citizen but never married (one uk born daughter),
-never been out of the country (always employed here) untill 2 months ago for holiday to Barbados whereupon my return to uk I was challenged and now have 6 month visa only

Very anxious

JAJ
Australia

Re: British citizenship status - Barbados

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:08 pm

You arrived in 1973- but on what basis were you admitted by the United Kingdom. Were you granted an immigrant/settlement entry clearance in your Barbados passport?

People from colonies generally lost British nationality on independence (Barbados- in 1966) unless they had certain ties through birth or (paternal line) descent with the United Kingdom or a place that remained a colony. This included persons living in the United Kingdom- such as your father- if they became Barbados citizens at independence. Unless your father's own father or his paternal grandfather was born or naturalised anywhere else in the U.K./Colonies?

It's near-certain you need an immigration solicitor straight away but the first step should be to clarify what was your original immigration status?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.