ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Citizenship as Irish spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

water_tank1
Ireland

Couple of questions

Post by water_tank1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Hey Guys,

I have two questions that hopefully someone can shed some light on.

1) My wife is going home for six months to be with family etc, would this cause any issue with GNIB etc when it comes to applying for permanent residence after 5 years? (I'm British, wife is Thai)

2) I am now a Irish passport holder through Foreign Births Register, is there another way I can apply for permanent residence for my wife sooner now that I am a Irish passport holder/citizen rather than waiting five years? I want to ask at INIS in Dublin but don't want to complicate things in the long term.

Many thanks for your help.

joker
Ireland

Re: Couple of questions

Post by joker » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:37 pm

Becoming Irish zero help for permanent residence, everyone has to wait 5 years. Your wife gap in residence may require an explanation if longer than 6 months for naturalization. In switzerland you got to wait 12 years

water_tank1
Ireland

Applying for Citizenship as Irish spouse

Post by water_tank1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Hey Guys

I am an Irish National

I have a question regarding applying for citizenship as Irish Spouse.

My Non EU wife has a PPS Number which means she is registered with the Revenue Commission.
I am slightly confused by the meaning of this paragraph ...

"A letter, on headed paper, from your current employer showing the date of commencement of employment (if
applicable), and copies of 3 recent pay slips (dated within the previous 6 months), and copies of your P60 or tax
statement from the Revenue Commissioners for each year of residence claimed."

My wife is unemployed and I am supporting her through my employment. So even though she is unemployed I will have to send her end of year statements in even they will show zero earnings. Would they want details my of employment instead?

Many thanks for your help.

dupalsky

Re: Applying for Citizenship as Irish spouse

Post by dupalsky » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 am

Hey water_tank1,

The idea of granting citizenship is that the person resides in the state, obeys the law of the land and is contributing in some ways to the state.

I am sure what the situation of your is, whether she worked some years during the 5 years or not at all. Assuming she never worked, I will suggest that you include a cover note in her application explaining that you have been her sole financial contribution during these years. You also need include why she wasn't working: e.g if she has been sick, couldn't find work, she is a house wife etc

I wish her good luck in her application.

Dupalsky

NiallPP
Ireland

Re: Couple of questions

Post by NiallPP » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:28 pm

joker wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:37 pm
Becoming Irish zero help for permanent residence, everyone has to wait 5 years. Your wife gap in residence may require an explanation if longer than 6 months for naturalization. In switzerland you got to wait 12 years
I think this is actually incorrect. As a spouse of an Irish citizen your wife should be eligible to apply for citizenship after 3 years residence on the island of Ireland (I think its 2 years continuous and then a year with the following 3 years)