ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering under MN1 for UK born child (applying from India)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sachhod
Newly Registered
India

Registering under MN1 for UK born child (applying from India)

Post by sachhod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am

Hi,

I want to know if my son is eligible to be registered though MN1, given the following facts:
1. My son was born in UK in 2010. (I was on HSMP at this time)
2. We (I, my wife & son) got ILR in 2012.
3. I became a British citizen though naturalisation in 2013. But wife and son didn't apply for naturalisation.
4. We (I, my wife & son) returned to India in 2013 and have been living in India since.

In this case, is my son eligible for registration as British citizen through MN1 (on the basis that he was born in UK and I became a British citizen later) given that we live in India now?

If yes, what should I write in following point of MN1 form:
1.3 Please say if and when the child was given indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK. If the child’s parent is an EEA national, a Swiss national or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national you should ensure that they qualify for permanent residence. Child has indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK. Date granted

Another question I have is regarding the postage. Since we are now living in India and postal service is not to be trusted, I would like the documents to be returned to me through courier. How can I request / pay for it?

Many Thanks!
Sachin

JAJ
Australia

Re: Registering under MN1 for UK born child (applying from India)

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Your son is eligible for registration as a British citizen. As long as application is made before he turns 18. (also- if you wait until he is 10, then there is a good character requirement).

Whether or not your son has ILR is irrelevant to the application but in this case he has it- so enter the details where requested.

Presumably you're aware he will lose his Indian citizenship upon becoming British, but this may not be important?

Return of documents. It's not clear that the Home Office has any process to return documents. You may wish to apply using an official duplicate of his birth certificate (you can order one from the U.K. if you do not have it) and a certified copy of your naturalisation certificate along with any other documentation. They should be able to look up your citizenship file quite easily if you were naturalised in 2013.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

sachhod
Newly Registered
India

Re: Registering under MN1 for UK born child (applying from India)

Post by sachhod » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi JAJ,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes. I am aware that he will have to forego his Indian citizenship. But, I am planning on having his OCI done. So, should be okay for all practical purposes.

Cheers,
Sachin