ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewing romanian ID card while living in the UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Suzerman
Newly Registered

Renewing romanian ID card while living in the UK

Post by Suzerman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:23 pm

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend is from romania, but has lived in the UK for most of his life. His Identity card has expired, and he has to renew it. The embassy told him to do so through the power of attorney, which he has done. the attorney, however, now tells him that he needs to be registered at a romanian address in order to renew his ID card. Seeing how he currently does not live there, and how he has no intention of doing so, and also has no family members there, I wonder how there's even any possibility of him ever renewing his ID card. This surely cannot be a normal everyday occurrence? You're telling me he would be stateless and nobody would even care? Anybody have any ideas as to what is going on and if there's any way around this?

wegiwegi
Switzerland

Re: Renewing romanian ID card while living in the UK

Post by wegiwegi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm

That's weird, I renewed my ID card in my Embassy in London, my wife renewed her ID at her embassy in London as well, we live both in the UK, Her country us in South America and mine in centre Europe, Is Romania that different than the rest of the world?
Timeline:
Fourth application sent 21.07.17
HO received 24.07.17
Paid on 25.07.17
Biometrics 23.08.17
COA received 07.09.17
Passports received 07.09.16
Documents returned 13.11.17 dated 09
RC 13.11.17 dated 09

jjade1412
Newly Registered
Mood:
Romania

Post by jjade1412 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

I have just seen this thread.. I wondered if someone could help me..

My boyfriends ID card has expired, how can he renew it in the UK so we can travel to Romania?

tiger-bonzo
Newly Registered

Post by tiger-bonzo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:43 pm

Couldnt he just apply for a passport?

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm

wegiwegi wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm
That's weird, I renewed my ID card in my Embassy in London, my wife renewed her ID at her embassy in London as well, we live both in the UK, Her country us in South America and mine in centre Europe, Is Romania that different than the rest of the world?
It depends on each country's individual laws. Until relatively recently, Germany retained people's ID cards when they unregistered their residence in Germany, so nobody without a German address could/should have had an ID card, only a German passport.

Now the laws have changed and Germans living abroad can have an ID card stating 'no residence in Germany' in place of the address.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.