ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET(M)- Bachelor degree taught in English - KOLL requirement- query

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LaPra
Newly Registered

SET(M)- Bachelor degree taught in English - KOLL requirement- query

Post by LaPra » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:01 am

Hello there,

I will soon be appearing for my settlement visa via premium service on 8th Nov 2017. I am applying in the SET(m) category as I came through the FLR(M) route.

When I was filling the SET(M) form it asks for a SELT Ref. No. to prove English language capability. For my previous 2 FLR(m) visas that lead up to this SET(M), I have proven English language requirement through the PBS system and via my Bachelor’s degree certificates(from India) that clearly state Medium of instruction as English. I have not obtained any NARIC certificate.

But when I checked the guidance notes for this via the link in the SET(M) form(https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... LL-v19.pdf), it states the highlighted part in the below table taken from this page.

Does this therefore mean that I will not need a statement from the UK NARIC for my SET(m) application (or) will I still need this? Please could you clarify at the earliest, so that I can take the necessary action quickly.

Knowledge of language and life in the UK
Degree qualifications About this guidance Who needs knowledge of language and life Meeting requirements Life in the UK test Speaking and listening requirement False documents Meeting requirement after 15 years in the UK: indefinite leave Recording outcomes on CID Refusal wording
This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.
They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.
They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be academic (not vocational or professional) and deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK and to have been taught in English or delivered in a majority English language speaking country (excluding Canada).
Before 6 April 2016, a PBS online points calculator printout, showing 10 points has been awarded for English language could be submitted, together with the original degree certificate, to satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.
The points based calculator was turned off on 6 April 2016. An official statement from UK NARIC must be obtained before applying. Further information is provided on www.naric.org.uk/visasandnationality.
If we have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted, we will not need additional confirmation from NARIC. If the qualification has not previously been used for an immigration application, or the previous application was refused, the applicant must obtain confirmation from NARIC that it meets the relevant criteria.
Degrees obtained in the UK are acceptable without UK NARIC assessment.
If the applicant has a degree that was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country (excluding Canada) they must provide:
Related links Speaking and Listening requirement B1 level test English-speaking countries Diplomas Life in the UK test
External links Appendix KoLL of the Immigration Rules Appendix O of the Immigration Rules Naturalisation requirements

Your clarification will be of great help to me - Thanks!

LaPra
Newly Registered

Re: SET(M)- Bachelor degree taught in English - KOLL requirement- query

Post by LaPra » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

Hello - Please I am in urgent need of this clarification as I have only 3 weeks to my visa appointment and if I need to gather more documentation, then I will need to do that now. Please help! Many Thanks!

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am

its your choice if you want to risk such a big amount solely on account that u have got away last time.
i know i would get the naric if i were in your place.
or just give an ielts, which should be super easy for settlement requirement.

LaPra
Newly Registered

Post by LaPra » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:27 pm

thanks for your response @iworker - Just to explain I didn't get away last time - I actually did the points based system scored 10 and submitted my degree documents alongside this and this was accepted for 2 Immigration visa rounds prior to the settlement. I don't want to risk it which is why I am asking people who may know to consider the guidance actually given by UKBA and ask if it's right. But I'd rather not waste more money than I have to.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:05 pm

£150 for NARIC ELA vs possibly losing £2,287 for ILR postal for failing to meet the English requirement :idea:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LaPra
Newly Registered

Post by LaPra » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 am

So based on above replies, I understand that even though there are contradictory statements in the guidance notes for this, no one is really sure on whether we require the NARIC certificate for people who didn't require this for earlier applications. I have also sought legal services and they also think the wordings are highly contradictory. I wish someone who has applied recently can clarify!

mrsgrnwd
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by mrsgrnwd » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 am

LaPra wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 am
So based on above replies, I understand that even though there are contradictory statements in the guidance notes for this, no one is really sure on whether we require the NARIC certificate for people who didn't require this for earlier applications. I have also sought legal services and they also think the wordings are highly contradictory. I wish someone who has applied recently can clarify!
Hi LaPra, I'm now having the same query as you RE: whether NARIC is necessary if non-UK uni degree has been accepted in previous two FLR(M) applications. What did you decide to do in the end? Did you successfully receive your ILR? I hope you did. I'd be grateful if you'd shed some light based on your experience. Many thanks!