ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NCS said I would get a Refusal of citizenship due to parking fines

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Dc1943
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

NCS said I would get a Refusal of citizenship due to parking fines

Post by Dc1943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 am

My Citizenship has been refused at interview due to having received one parking fine and one FPN for accidentally driving in a bus lane, in the last 12 months. Both fines were paid immediately and there were no other objections to my application. Is this a legal ground for refusal and how Can I appeal

googleit

Re: Refusal of citizenship due to parking fines

Post by googleit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:44 am

Dc1943 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 am
My Citizenship has been refused at interview due to having received one parking fine and one FPN for accidentally driving in a bus lane, in the last 12 months. Both fines were paid immediately and there were no other objections to my application. Is this a legal ground for refusal and how Can I appeal

Why did they call for an interview ? You can submit Administrative review for refusal but this doesn’t fall under good character.

baddy

Post by baddy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 am

Dc1943 wrote:
Did you declare the parking fine and the FPN on your application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:06 am

What was the exact wording of the refusal (taking out any personal info)?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dc1943
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by Dc1943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 am

Sorry for the confusion in terms. The ‘interview’ was by the nationality checking service prior to formally submitting the application. I did not declare the FPN’s on the forms because they are not criminal convictions, which is all the forms ask for. I was asked directly by the interviewer if I had incurred any fines for traffic offences in the last 12 months. When I gave the details outlined in my original question she telephoned the HO who immediately said the application would be refused. I was advised to reapply when I could declare no more than one FPN in the last 12 months. There has been no written correspondence.

googleit

Post by googleit » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:06 am

So this means you were refused by NCS not by Home office ? So they didn’t submit your application to Home office and just refused there ?

Dc1943
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by Dc1943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 am

Yes, on the advice of HO

baddy

Post by baddy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:45 am

Dc1943 wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:08 am
Yes, on the advice of HO
Rubbish advice from HO/NCS. My friend please repackage your application and go to another NCS. Just declare the FPN and not the parking fine. As long as you paid the parking fine on time. But I am a bit amazed why they issued you FPN for bus lane instead of PCN. Are you sure you have FPN or PCN?

May be you need to explain your situation well so that experienced people in this forum can advise you accordingly.

Dc1943
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Re: NCS said I would get a Refusal of citizenship due to parking fines

Post by Dc1943 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:31 am

Thank you. I will follow up your advice to go to a different NCS.

dhyperion
Mood:

Post by dhyperion » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 pm

Parking fines and FPNs are not normally taken into consideration unless you have several in a short space of time or too many - ie it shows that you may not be of good character. A few over the years should not adversely impact your application and certainly not be reason for not applying (even the guide from the HO on naturalisation clearly states this). I'm surprised the HO/NCS told you it would be rejected.

Are you sure everything is/was in order and the transgressions have not resulted in court cases or other legal complications?

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Dc1943 wrote:
Is this a legal ground for refusal and how Can I appeal
Any grounds for refusal of a citizenship are 'legal'. Citizenship is a priviledge and the UK may confer or refuse it as they see fit. But I do think that in your case, you got mystifying bad advice on how to proceed with your application. Do keep us updated.