ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

change a citizenship ceremony to a different council?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

change a citizenship ceremony to a different council?

Post by hupmum » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm

At the moment my local council doesn't have any dates that suits me. So I'm a bit stuck.The nearest private ceremony is in March, that would make it over 3 months from when the decision is made.

I'm also living with my in laws in London at the moment, so it's a long way to travel

Has anyone changed the ceremony location before? How long it's likely to take? I just want to know the approximate timescale.

Thank you very much for your help!

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: change a citizenship ceremony to a different council?

Post by bruteforce » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't think its that simple. You would need to contact HO for this. Your local Council will not just send your documents to another Council on your request. In theory, they should be providing you ceremony date withing 90 days of you getting approval letter. What Council is it?

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm

hupmum wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:21 pm
At the moment my local council doesn't have any dates that suits me. So I'm a bit stuck.The nearest private ceremony is in March, that would make it over 3 months from when the decision is made.

I'm also living with my in laws in London at the moment, so it's a long way to travel

Has anyone changed the ceremony location before? How long it's likely to take? I just want to know the approximate timescale.

Thank you very much for your help!
Underlined above. It's not the Council's fault if the available dates don't suit you. :idea:

In order to change the venue for the ceremony, the current designated Council will have to return the certificate to the HO who will then forward this to the preferred Council. This process is likely to take some time, with no guarantee that the new venue will have suitable dates either.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Casa wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm
hupmum wrote:
At the moment my local council doesn't have any dates that suits me

Ah! I missed the 'DON'T SUIT ME' part. :oops: You are correct.

mrgs1
Member of Standing

Post by mrgs1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:00 pm

bruteforce wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 pm
Casa wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm
hupmum wrote:
At the moment my local council doesn't have any dates that suits me

Ah! I missed the 'DON'T SUIT ME' part. :oops: You are correct.
Surely with such an important event in your life you find a way to make it suit you?

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by hupmum » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:58 am

Okay so my job requires me to go abroad in February for business. That means I will need to travel back to the UK from China during my business trip, sitting in the house for 7 days to wait for my passport to return. This could potentially make me lose my job as the business trip is very important and I can’t take a whole week off during that time.
The earliest ceremony that my council can do is in February, while the one in London (where I’m currently living) have excellent availability.

I understand The council doesn’t have to provide a date that suits me but if none of them works perhaps I should try to find some alternatives (if that’s possible)?

Just want to hear the experience from someone has done that before (change the location). Thanks all.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:22 am

Just want to hear the experience from someone has done that before (change the location). Thanks al
Most people don't change the location due to the long and protracted process and time it takes for a new council to eventually get your certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:28 am

I remember asking my council if we could go to the neighbouring one if the dates were not suitable and they said that it isn't possible to change.

I don't think many people have the problem of their council being a long way to travel.

Why don't you just postpone your ceremony until after your trip? It is going to be a whole lot less hassle than trying to change council.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:02 am

General information – all British nationals: nationality policy guidance wrote:Citizenship Ceremonies Support Team (CCST) is the main contact with local authorities. CCST will liaise with local authorities in regard to citizenship ceremonies. CCST will deal with any requests to extend, transfer or become exempt from a citizenship ceremony after the case has been approved.
General information – all British nationals: nationality policy guidance wrote:Requests to transfer a ceremony to a different venue must only be dealt with by CCST.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by hupmum » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice.
After a few emails begging for a private ceremony at my local council, they have agreed to organise a private one for me next week (yay). Well they said the ceremony only lasts 5 minutes so probably just handing over the certificate.

Now I need to find out how practical it is to change the address so I could receive my passport at my in laws address (where I'm staying)

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

change the address for passport delivery

Post by hupmum » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm

My address is in Scotland but I'm currently living in London with my in laws. I'm having a private ceremony next week (on 27 Dec) and would like the passport to deliver to my parents in laws address.

-How easy it is to change the address for passport delivery?

- I'm living here temporarily for a few months only, so I don't have any bills at this address yet. Am I still able to redirect my passport here? Do I need to provide any proof of the new address?

- Would this changing of address delay the process? I need my passport back by 13 January (when I'm traveling abroad.) Given that there will be New year holiday, do you think I can have the passport in time before my travel?

-I still have my foreign passport - my country allows dual nationality. If I can't have the British passport in time, I *think* I can go out of the country with a foreign passport plus the nationality certificate? Is it correct?

Thanks everyone.

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Re: change the address for passport delivery

Post by shinebright » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 am

Hi
Yes Delays but not very much, my experience two weeks ago; called HMPO to give an England address as I also reside in Scotland but moving homes and didn't want any complications but it did get complicated, I wasn't informed on the call that a proof of address is required, I only came to learn about this when I tried to track passport two days later, I got a reply they have sent a letter to Newcastle address requesting for proof, I then called and explained it's temporary they were fine but my friend whose it was her address would need to write and explain I live there temporarily and then send along with the letter a proof of address for herself, I immediately changed it back to my new Scotland address and sent proof same day special delivery, they received it on Thursday, tracked passport again on Friday, got a reply asking if I have sent proof, I sent screenshots of proof of delivery, got reply passport was sent for printing on Friday, text on Saturday morning would be delivered on Monday but I received it on Saturday.

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:18 am

-I still have my foreign passport - my country allows dual nationality. If I can't have the British passport in time, I *think* I can go out of the country with a foreign passport plus the nationality certificate? Is it correct?

Thanks everyone.
[/quote]

Not sure about naturalisation certificate serving as visa/passport but wait for anyone with similar experience to share.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

hupmum wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm
I still have my foreign passport - my country allows dual nationality. If I can't have the British passport in time, I *think* I can go out of the country with a foreign passport plus the nationality certificate? Is it correct?
The naturalisation certificate is NOT a travel document. If you are a visa national, you will likely face problems trying to board a plan to return if you do not have a visa or British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:29 am

hupmum wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:24 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice.
After a few emails begging for a private ceremony at my local council, they have agreed to organise a private one for me next week (yay). Well they said the ceremony only lasts 5 minutes so probably just handing over the certificate. And you need to take the oath first.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

davemcmillan
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by davemcmillan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Frankly I don't see why everyone is being so snooty about this topic. After spending £1300 of the naturalisation process, and then another £80 + £110 to have a private ceremony, I would assume it would be ok to ask for a sooner date considering you're actually spending almost £200 for about 15mins of someone's time. I'm in a similar situation with work travel, and it is really hard that they only have 1 date for a private ceremony in a whole month. I think if you're paying for the service it should be flexible.

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by hupmum » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am
hupmum wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:38 pm
I still have my foreign passport - my country allows dual nationality. If I can't have the British passport in time, I *think* I can go out of the country with a foreign passport plus the nationality certificate? Is it correct?
The naturalisation certificate is NOT a travel document. If you are a visa national, you will likely face problems trying to board a plan to return if you do not have a visa or British passport.
How about boarding a plane from UK to go abroad? I'm thinking worst case scenario if the passport is late, I will just travel with my old passport, then my in laws will receive my passport for me at their address (is this allowed?) then they post the passport to me to whatever country I will be in, so I can travel back with the new British passport?

hupmum
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Post by hupmum » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:12 pm

shinebright wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:15 am
Hi
Yes Delays but not very much, my experience two weeks ago; called HMPO to give an England address as I also reside in Scotland but moving homes and didn't want any complications but it did get complicated, I wasn't informed on the call that a proof of address is required, I only came to learn about this when I tried to track passport two days later, I got a reply they have sent a letter to Newcastle address requesting for proof, I then called and explained it's temporary they were fine but my friend whose it was her address would need to write and explain I live there temporarily and then send along with the letter a proof of address for herself, I immediately changed it back to my new Scotland address and sent proof same day special delivery, they received it on Thursday, tracked passport again on Friday, got a reply asking if I have sent proof, I sent screenshots of proof of delivery, got reply passport was sent for printing on Friday, text on Saturday morning would be delivered on Monday but I received it on Saturday.
ahh that sounds complicated.
So you suggest I call HO to tell them about my parents in law address, then ask my in laws to write to the HO and explain I live there temporarily, then send along their proof of address?

If I do that then my passport could be sent to my parents in law address in London, even though I don't have any bills in that address?

How long did it take them to reply to you? did they email / send you a letter? My experience is that it normally takes a few weeks to receive an email response from them :(

Looks like they responded quickly in your case.
Which number / email address did you use to contact them?

shinebright
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by shinebright » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi

Sorry for late reply, i hope you have it sorted now however to amswer yoir quesrion, it took two phone calls, and three emails all within 6 days to get it sorted, it was quite quick.