ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entered in India on Indian passport and acquired British Nationality

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

om.feb26

Entered in India on Indian passport and acquired British Nationality

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 am

Hello Everyone,

We had applied our minor daughter British nationality application in 2nd November 2017. We left to India on 24th December and reached there on 25th December 2017.

I returned on 12th January 2018 while my daughter is still in India.

After I reached back in UK on 12th January, I realised that her application is accepted and the naturalisation certificate is delivered on 2nd January 2018 and British passport on 14th January.

Now she is travelling back to UK with my wife on 6th February. My question is about her travelling document.
Should she travel on Indian passport? Will she have any question/trouble at Indian immigration.

Shall I send British passport to her and ask her to cross Indian immigration by Indian passport and enter here in UK on British passport?

What is the right approach which causes little or no question/delay?

Please reply kindly and provide advice. Does anyone had same kind of experience?

Many Thanks in advance.

om.feb26

Re: Entered in India on Indian passport and acquired British Nationality

Post by om.feb26 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Does any Guru have any view or advice about my question?

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 pm

not a guru but sharing whatever I know
In certain criteria - Till age of 18 your daughter can hold both Indian and British Passport, so its ok to use indian PP for exit and enter UK even with British naturalization (if not UK PP), still send British PP securely over courier to be on safer side.
Check this applies in your case
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:15 pm

abhisheks9 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:36 pm
In certain criteria - Till age of 18 your daughter can hold both Indian and British Passport, so its ok to use indian PP for exit and enter UK even with British naturalization (if not UK PP), still send British PP securely over courier to be on safer side.
My understanding is that this would only apply if the child was born British, which she was not.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

takdeerwala
India

Post by takdeerwala » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am

What is the immigration status of your wife? British or Indian ??

If you have not rdone surrender certificate of your child passport, then you should come with Indian Passport only. You can pass the British immigration on indian Passport. Child has valid British Visa right ??? It should not be against any law.

One more thing is that there are automatic gates at London immigration where you can use British Passport to enter if you wish.

Obviously the air ticket of your child will be listing her as Indian citizen with so and so Passport number, so not using Indian passport for boarding the flight and Indian immigration is not an option for you.

middletier 1

Post by middletier 1 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

Hi om.feb26,

Minors born in india holding Indian passport can hold dual nationality until they become major i.e. 18 years.
I have contacted the FRRO in India and they have confirmed in writing that as per MHA section 4 , minors can hold dual nationality. please check my previous posts.

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52 am

middletier 1 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am
Hi om.feb26,

Minors born in india holding Indian passport can hold dual nationality until they become major i.e. 18 years.
I have contacted the FRRO in India and they have confirmed in writing that as per MHA section 4 , minors can hold dual nationality. please check my previous posts.
Thanks @middletier, She is born in UK but were holding Indian nationality when travelled. I had sent the British passport to her securely, but planning to travel only on Indian passport.

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:54 am

takdeerwala wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 am
What is the immigration status of your wife? British or Indian ??

If you have not rdone surrender certificate of your child passport, then you should come with Indian Passport only. You can pass the British immigration on indian Passport. Child has valid British Visa right ??? It should not be against any law.

One more thing is that there are automatic gates at London immigration where you can use British Passport to enter if you wish.

Obviously the air ticket of your child will be listing her as Indian citizen with so and so Passport number, so not using Indian passport for boarding the flight and Indian immigration is not an option for you.
Thanks @takdeerwala, My wife still holds Indian nationality and both have valid valid British visa. Will use Indian passport only. Many Thanks for the reply.

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:15 pm
abhisheks9 wrote:
My understanding is that this would only apply if the child was born British, which she was not.
Hello CR001,

She is born in UK only but at that time I didn't have ILR so she had Indian nationality.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am

om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:56 am
CR001 wrote:
abhisheks9 wrote:
Hello CR001,

She is born in UK only but at that time I didn't have ILR so she had Indian nationality.

Thanks
She is NOT born British. You have voluntarily selected to Regsiter her as British. There is a difference
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:59 am

abhisheks9 wrote:
Thanks @abhisheks9, This is exactly what I planned and she had both passports now but asked her to use only Indian passport at both immigration check.
Didn't know minor can hold both passport. Do you have any reference link/document to this.

Many thanks for you reply.

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 am
om.feb26 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
abhisheks9 wrote:
Hello CR001,

Thanks
She is NOT born British. You have voluntarily selected to Regsiter her as British. There is a difference
Yes that is true, I understand. What is your suggestion then? I am planning to use Indian passport at both immigration check, but keeping the british passport also in case she has trouble at UK immigration.

Many Thanks for your quick response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:12 pm

om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm
CR001 wrote:
om.feb26 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Hello CR001,

Thanks
Yes that is true, I understand. What is your suggestion then? I am planning to use Indian passport at both immigration check, but keeping the british passport also in case she has trouble at UK immigration.

If she does not have a visa (which a British citizen cannot hold anyway), she won't even be allowed to board a plane so you will be forced to a British passport to prove her right to enter the UK. Using British passport on arrival in the UK is not the issue and not sure why you think it is.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:12 pm
om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:02 pm
CR001 wrote:
om.feb26 wrote:

Hello CR001,

Thanks

If she does not have a visa (which a British citizen cannot hold anyway), she won't even be allowed to board a plane so you will be forced to a British passport to prove her right to enter the UK. Using British passport on arrival in the UK is not the issue and not sure why you think it is.
Thanks CR001,

She is carrying valid BRP at the moment. So I am not worried about her entry in UK. My main question was to choose an option which is simple and doesn't attract questions at UK immigration or possible delay in questioning. My wife is travelling with her so She can explain the scenario.

I was thinking that if she uses British passport at UK immigration check then they will straight away start asking questions.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:04 pm

om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:19 pm
I was thinking that if she uses British passport at UK immigration check then they will straight away start asking questions.
Not sure why you think this will be an issued on entry to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:04 pm
om.feb26 wrote:
May be I overthink that. I didn't want them to wait hours at immigration check for this reason. I know there is nothing illegal and also she has all the documents.
So You reckon using British Passport at UK immigration

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm

om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm
CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:04 pm
om.feb26 wrote:
May be I overthink that. I didn't want them to wait hours at immigration check for this reason. I know there is nothing illegal and also she has all the documents.
Yes.

You are overthinking.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

om.feb26

Post by om.feb26 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm
om.feb26 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:11 pm
Yes.

You are overthinking.
:) :)
Many thanks for your help CR001.