ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to exercise Treaty Rights?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

allain

How to exercise Treaty Rights?

Post by allain » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 am

Hey Guys
I already have RC for 5 years, and my wife's employer just stopped paying SMP after 10 months of new baby born, she don't have any job atm.
I want to ask how can she exercise treaty rights? So it won't effect my PR which is after two years.

Thanks

vinny

Re: How to exercise Treaty Rights?

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 am

A person with PR is exercising treaty rights.

Family members have extended right of residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

allain

Post by allain » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 am

vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 am
A person with PR is exercising treaty rights. Family members have extended right of residence.

I am sorry Vinny i don't understand, yes my wife already got PR. Does she not need to exercise treaty rights anymore?
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:30 am

I think she continues to exercise treaty rights under Regulation 15.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 am

European Economic Area (EEA) administrative removal wrote:EEA permanent right to reside: resident over 5 years

The EEA Regulations set out that after a period of 5 years of continuous lawful residence in the UK (in accordance with EEA Regulations that were in force during that 5 year period), an EEA national, or a family member of an EEA national, who is in the UK acquires a right of permanent residence that does not require them to be exercising a Treaty right. This right can only be lost through an absence from the UK of more than 2 consecutive years.

allain

Post by allain » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:50 am
European Economic Area (EEA) administrative removal wrote:EEA permanent right to reside: resident over 5 years

The EEA Regulations set out that after a period of 5 years of continuous lawful residence in the UK (in accordance with EEA Regulations that were in force during that 5 year period), an EEA national, or a family member of an EEA national, who is in the UK acquires a right of permanent residence that does not require them to be exercising a Treaty right. This right can only be lost through an absence from the UK of more than 2 consecutive years.

Thanks Vinny for the reply.

I want to ask if it will effect my ILR application or PR application? because i have to choose one method to apply for Naturalisation.

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:32 am

If she has PR, then her current lack of job shouldn't affect your PR application.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 am
A person with PR is exercising treaty rights.
Indeed.

That is an interesting point you made. It is not only qualified person that are exercising treaty right. A person Residing in the UK with a permanent Right of Residence, is indeed exercising her treaty rights under Article 21 of the Treaty of Lisbon.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors