ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to the UK. Managers with a family. My experience!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Moving to the UK. Managers with a family. My experience!

Post by jpfranco » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my recent experience in the UK. It might be helpful to someone.

I am 40 yrs. old, married with 2 kids, my wife stays with the kids. I am Chemical Eng. with a Msc. (USA) and an MBA. 13 years of professional experience (5 of those working in the USA) in the field of Supply Chain, with experience in managerial positions of multinational companies, including Blue Chips like Kraft Foods. Very good level of English.

In my country, Ecuador, I was making the equivalent to 25,000 pounds/yr. This was a very good salary due to the very low cost of living. It was enough to have a good living standard and even savings. I have my own house, my kids were in one of the best private schools in my city, etc.

However, political, social and economical situation of the country are not the best. There is a lot of crime and poverty. So, I decided to try the UK. I applied to the HSMP, I did it directly without consultants, and got approved very easily.

I quit my job and traveled to the UK in August, 2007. I moved to Birmingham, where cost of living is lower and it is centrally located to attend to interviews anywhere.

Due to my age, to getting a FLR renewal I required a salary of about 35,000 pounds/yr. And to be able to maintain a comparable standard of living, I did require at least 40,000 pounds/yr or even more.

So, I started applying to every related job in the range of 35K - 55K. I sent my CV to every head hunting agency, I contacted employers directly, etc.

I got about 9 job interviews. I got shortlisted for 3 jobs, but at the end I was not selected. The main reason given was that they preferred someone with previous UK experience. I stayed in the UK till February this year (spent 6 moths there).

Most of the Recruiting Agencies told me that I was not going to get a first job over 30K, due to the lack of UK experience. They offered me entry level positions in the range of 25K - 30K, but that was good for a single person, not to support a family.

In summary: If you have a similar situation than mine, you are over 32 years, you are a manager and you have a family to support. Think it twice before making the move.

First of all, forget about managerial positions, it is going to be very difficult to find one. Second, realize that cost of living in the UK is very high, so maintaining your current standard of living will require a lot more money than you are making in your country. This will enatail a managerial / consulting job that is not easy to get.

The UK has also its share of problems, teen violence, bad public schools, crime, etc. To get away from them, you will definitely need to have a good salary. Again, maybe at the beginning your first salary won't be enough.

You have the final decision; maybe I did have bad luck, maybe you are luckier. But, be prepared to make some sacrifices if you want to stay in the UK. Probably, you will need to be away from your family for 1 or 2 years till you get a salary good enough to bring them along.

If you are single... well the story is very different, and the decision could be easier. The UK market offers a lot of jobs, and you could start low till you get UK experience.

Hope, this will help someone.

Best regards.

Juan

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Juan,

First of all, I would like to appreciate your courage of coming to an expensive country like UK with the family to begin with. Only time can justify your step. But practically speaking you have learnt the simple thing the hard way.

I have been in UK before all alone with a good salary but costs were difficult to bear. I am again moving to Uk but will be moving alone to begin with and not with kids. I have two kids and i plan to bring them later once i am comfortable with the location and my personal view about the schools etc.

Forget about managerial positions to begin with, for sure. But Although UK market is cruel for beginners (although you may have hughe exp outside UK) , one good thing is that once you get in and if your work is above average the UK employer is going to be very happy with you, which may not be the case in your home country.

Had you been in IT i could have helped you. I wish you best of luck for the future and hope that you do not have to wait further long to find a job. :) Thanks for sharing your experiences.

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi WorkPermitIssues,

Thanks for the comment. You have a good point. I have to clarify that I also went to the UK by myself. Family stayed in Ecuador, but I had to support myself in Birmingham and my family in Ecuador, all with personal savings.

I strongly suggest everybody to avoid bringing their families to the UK till they have a stable position. Cost of living is extremely high.

Best regards.

Juan.

pdeshpande

Post by pdeshpande » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:51 am

Hi,

I completely agree with jpfranco and workpermitissues. I have come to the UK in the third week of Jan. I am 31 yrs and was working in India at a Managerial level position. I am also into IT. But the positions that are coming are like Network Engineer (this was the position wherein I was working in India when I started my career 8+ yrs back!). I feel like I am again starting my career from zero. Although I am ready to accept such positions, but I was rejected and was told that I failed the HR round!! This was even after clearing 2 rounds of technical interview. Even I cleared the third technical round alongwith the HR Manager, but failed there.

I did other mistake of bringing my wife here too. We both are staying with my BIL and now we both are in a awkard position as to how long to stay with them. I have given myself another 1 month's time. If something works out by then, its fine or else I am packing my bags back to India. Atleast I wont spend in pounds but in INR.

I would again request and appeal to everyone not to do the mistakes that I have done of bringing your family. Pls settle down with a job, and only then call your family/wife to the UK.

Regards,

pdeshpande

kapoor@yahoo.com

Post by kapoor@yahoo.com » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:21 am

A very helpful discussion.

I've been in UK for last 1.5 years on WP and now switching over to HSMP. I've a family, a kid. Few things that I noted down and would like to share:

1. Search Market, talk to consultants and see what they are offering you. Like if you are manager in your country and people here tell you that you won't get more than a engineer/developer job, then prepare yourself in that way. Customize your resume, no need to tell anybody that you were manager back in your country.

2. Dont worry to start with a low profile job, this will give you UK experience, survival support. also, most of us are quite hard working, smart at work, so we'll be recognized sooner or later.

3. About Acco etc., in areas around London, you can easily find shared acco, where you'll get your separate bedroom, but Spam etc. may be shared. This can be a good option and a survival tactic.

4. Dont hesitate to change planning, sending family back to home country for time being. Let us assume 1st year in UK can be difficult.

pdeshpande wrote:Hi,

I completely agree with jpfranco and workpermitissues. I have come to the UK in the third week of Jan. I am 31 yrs and was working in India at a Managerial level position. I am also into IT. But the positions that are coming are like Network Engineer (this was the position wherein I was working in India when I started my career 8+ yrs back!). I feel like I am again starting my career from zero. Although I am ready to accept such positions, but I was rejected and was told that I failed the HR round!! This was even after clearing 2 rounds of technical interview. Even I cleared the third technical round alongwith the HR Manager, but failed there.

I did other mistake of bringing my wife here too. We both are staying with my BIL and now we both are in a awkard position as to how long to stay with them. I have given myself another 1 month's time. If something works out by then, its fine or else I am packing my bags back to India. Atleast I wont spend in pounds but in INR.

I would again request and appeal to everyone not to do the mistakes that I have done of bringing your family. Pls settle down with a job, and only then call your family/wife to the UK.

Regards,

pdeshpande

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:25 am

deshpande, how much were you earning in India mate.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:35 am

Hello Juan,

My situation is the same. But the good part is that I will be on WP and my salary will start from day one this time. :) So i plan to accumulate some money in pounds maybe say 3-6 months by staying alone and then bringing them so taht i can bear the other costs like security deposit, schooling, car etc.. although i am not sure what those exact costs would be.

HSMP to me sounds only a bait for the brain drain from developing countries to the UK. Moreover the essense of the HSMP is only in the eyes of the govt of uk and not in the view of consultants/employers.

Good luck mate.

Regards
jpfranco wrote:Hi WorkPermitIssues,

Thanks for the comment. You have a good point. I have to clarify that I also went to the UK by myself. Family stayed in Ecuador, but I had to support myself in Birmingham and my family in Ecuador, all with personal savings.

I strongly suggest everybody to avoid bringing their families to the UK till they have a stable position. Cost of living is extremely high.

Best regards.

Juan.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:38 am

Buddy Deshpande - What technology you work on and whats your exp level ? I am also working at the highest level in india and earning good.

My idea of moving to UK OR US is to get rid of daily and routine issues/frustrations where in i do not have any control either in the form of consumer, employee, tenant etc..

There are some of the positives in UK where in if you know your rights, you can live with lot of self respect and dignity. :)

Regards

pdeshpande wrote:Hi,

Regards,

pdeshpande

pdeshpande

Post by pdeshpande » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:46 am

Hi workpermitissues,

I am into Network and Systems and IT Infrastructure. I have 8+ yrs of IT experience. I was under the impressions that I would get a job within 2 weeks since there are almost 200 jobs posted on job websites everyday. But I guess even after applying them I hardly get 3-4 calls and everyone of them says that they will forward the cv to the client, but I have not seen a single person coming back to me after that.

Job mkt is pretty bad here, trust me. Atleast to get the first job in the UK, I guess

Regards,

pdeshpande
Last edited by pdeshpande on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdeshpande

Post by pdeshpande » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 am

hi hertz,

I was earning close to 12k p.a. in India

Regards,

pdeshpande

meer_iet

Post by meer_iet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 pm

I agree to Kapoor.
Even i modified my CV several times to remove most of Team leadership and managerial stuff and put more & more technical stuff into it.
I have 6.5 yrs of IT experience and increased package from this april would have been close to 13 lacs INR.
But fortunately after 1.5 months of job search i am starting here in permanent role from 31st march in a big company.
I am married and will bring my wife in some time now.

regds

netacct

Post by netacct » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 pm

I am an IT professional from India and been in UK for almost 4.5 years.
Very recently shifted on HSMP visa. Job hunting in UK radically different from India. Here employers are ready to wait even for six or more months but they will hire someone only if they think you are a good at personal + technical level. I have been doing job hunting for a while but still have no good offer. Every after 4.5 years UK experience, most of the interview calls I get are for very small companies life 4 to 15 people. You really need patience and good at both technical + personal level. Also what I found is that chances of getting jobs in small town are higher as compared to London.
In London, many jobs BUT TOO TOO Many competitions.

jpfranco
Newly Registered

Post by jpfranco » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:48 am

Thanks everybody, great discussion.

My point was just to make clear the big difference between coming to the UK as a young, single professional and as an older, manager with a family.

In the first case, you might have a rough time finding your first job, but with your skills and hard work you will eventually find many chances.

However, in the later you are really risking a lot, and moreover, it could mean a step backwards for your family. You have to be very careful and know exactly the hurdles you will face when you decide to leave everything behind and move to the UK.

Make sure you really evaluate the pros and cons of moving to the UK. And be completely objective regarding the reasons for leaving your country and your goals in the UK. For sure you will find great things in Europe, but be sure that they are worth the price you and your family will need to pay for them.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying that the UK is a bad place. I am just saying that it is not for everybody. In my case, I found out that the price required (start over professionally) was too much for me and my family.

I learnt it the hard way. Hopefully, this discussion can save you some harsh moments and regrets.

Regards.

Juan

aj_sp_007
Member of Standing

Post by aj_sp_007 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:06 pm

HI Guys..

Every single word discussed above is true...
I lost my wonderful job, my savings, as I'm married and have a daughter leaving them alone in india and struggling for a job here in U.K on HSMP.
Came back to india and in talks with my company...if they could again employ me...really depressed...

H - Highly
S - Stupid
M- Migrant
P - Programme

When they dont have jobs to offer...y they calling us....BAS**RDS
Never thought UK will treat like thiss......
Hopeless Place to work....

aj_sp_007
________
Csi: miami forum
Last edited by aj_sp_007 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pyke

Post by pyke » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 pm

Juan,

Thanks for the advice. I hope that everything works out for you. I would like to add though, that your visa should still be valid and you can continue to apply for jobs from ecuador if you still want to. Might get something interesting!

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:06 pm

aj_sp_007 wrote:HI Guys..

Every single word discussed above is true...
I lost my wonderful job, my savings, as I'm married and have a daughter leaving them alone in india and struggling for a job here in U.K on HSMP.
Came back to india and in talks with my company...if they could again employ me...really depressed...

H - Highly
S - Stupid
M- Migrant
P - Programme

When they dont have jobs to offer...y they calling us....BAS**RDS
Never thought UK will treat like thiss......
Hopeless Place to work....

aj_sp_007
I understand your frustration dude but they didn't called you.Infact you applied with your own money and time.They got nothing to loose if you come and work you pay taxes and etc etc.

But I agree that these days UK job market is very very weak.
Every company is micro managing in this financially turbulent time.

I would advise people to think twice before making the move these days.
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:56 pm

Well, this is true...

Infact i have a job,but my savings is not great...So i am planning to go back to India soon...If i have a stable job but canot save enough then i can understand the plight of some1 who doesnt have job...
I calculated and figures out that i can save the same amt in India working for an IT company..
Looking at the bigger picture, ppl. need to understand that FOREIGN is not always better..IT scene in India is really good and MNC are reay to pay 12 -18 lacs P.A ,so looking at the cost of living, you can save same amt and live a very comfortable life...
Just dont run towards a wester country by hearing stories of your neighbour/cousin /friend etc...Infact they might not be even telling you a true story...So THINK BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR COUNTRY/CURRENT JOB...Again, this is not to discourage you, you need to take risks in life,but dont be under impression that MONEY GROWS ON TREE IN WESTERN COUNTRY...

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:25 pm

Well, I would say that different things work for different people.
I have worked in India and UK and I know the differences, I know what I have gained/gaining and what I have lost/loosing.

We don't live in perfect world. Even if relocate to Moon/Mars/Pluto etc we will gain and loose something.

As individual has to really decide what exactly he wants and do proper planning.

In my case, even if someone pays me £80K PA in some small town in UK, I wont take it but if someone offers me just £40K in London I will take it.

So I would agree with ashishashah regarding salary in India.

If you JUST WANT Money/Saving, then think twice before leaving India for UK.

However, if you want something else like travel the world, work in different culture, country, lifeystyle etc etc then may be you should consider UK.

I always believe, Everything Has a Price...There is nothing like a free lunch.

jd
Member of Standing

Post by jd » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:13 pm

Absolutely true.. "netacct" you just stolen my words..
netacct wrote:Well, I would say that different things work for different people.
I have worked in India and UK and I know the differences, I know what I have gained/gaining and what I have lost/loosing.

We don't live in perfect world. Even if relocate to Moon/Mars/Pluto etc we will gain and loose something.

As individual has to really decide what exactly he wants and do proper planning.

In my case, even if someone pays me £80K PA in some small town in UK, I wont take it but if someone offers me just £40K in London I will take it.

So I would agree with ashishashah regarding salary in India.

If you JUST WANT Money/Saving, then think twice before leaving India for UK.

However, if you want something else like travel the world, work in different culture, country, lifeystyle etc etc then may be you should consider UK.

I always believe, Everything Has a Price...There is nothing like a free lunch.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 am

ashish, how much do u get in here approx mate.
You were very happy when you first came here, what has disappointed you staying in this country ?

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Herts,

I was getting around 12 lacs P.A...I was saving around 50K per month...Here i can save double ,but i think just for 50K more, its not worth it..

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:26 pm

I see lot of software guys want to come here when they are already getting more than 10L pa in India. This country is good for those who are from lower middle class and not in good paying jobs I think. Otherwise its no use leaving your friends and family coming here.

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:39 pm

One think which I cant understand is what exactly people think when they dream of working in UK?
Do people think that they can save around £3K or more per month?
Here most of the local British IT guys would be happy to save even £1k per month.

I think, some humans just lack the attitude and wants to make quick money and greedy people are never every happy with whatever they make and wherever they work.

I have been working in UK since almost 5 years but still save around £700 but happy with overall things?

It needs patience and most important skills to make £6K + in UK if you work as contractors. There is no shortcut. Some take longer, some achieve it very quickly.

Do we need to mention about the overall quality of life in India and India IT companies? How humans work there? What matters etc....

I had be happy to save £500 a month and work in UK rather than save £5K a month and not enjoy my daily life.

The only reason I would consider to go back will my family and nothing else.

But again, different things work differently for different people. What works for Mr X may not work for Mr Y and vice versa.

"ashishashah" good for you, your family, UK and India if you move back to India.

At least someone else needy from other part of the world will take your job and will be happy with £1200K saving per month.

From the bottom of my heart, I wish you all the best.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Netact, it would be a good idea to ask the hsmp people in a poll here as to whether they came here for money or a good life.

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Hello AshishaShah - Few points to consider when working in uk.

1. With family you cannot save much in UK. So your goals should be set straight from a monetory perspective and the compromises associated with it. Moreover, you need to enhance your skills to the areas that are paid more in order to earn more.

2. You have a better living life in UK if you know your rights well and do not take things for granted (good or bad). :)

3. You need peace of mind and want to spend some time with your family. I assume and am sure.. you would barely get time with your kid and family with a sal of 12 laks PA. The company would have squeezed you dry if i am not wrong.

4. If you are fond of vacations, UK is better place to work and enjoy the near around Swiss and European nations.

5. if you are looking for active sex/night life then India is not bad too. ;)

My two scents :)

Regards
-----------
Updates - 24/03/2008

6. You wont find people breaking signals on cross roads or cars standing right on the zebra crossings in the UK.

7. You cannot be cheated on the product after buying from a retail store. It comes with a 14 day buy back gaurantee to return back (without banging your head at the customer support toll free numbers OR sales people at the store). Very unlike india

8. You dont need to pay hefty charges in the form of donations to get your kid an entry to any school in UK.

9. You cannot be arrested because your brother mother father cousin committed a crime ;) . You may be questioned but it is unlike indian way

10. You wont need to shell out a bomb to buy a car.