ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Nationality

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ishameeque

British Nationality

Post by ishameeque » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:18 am

Hi
I had this post in the old forum and lost it. I am also not sure if this is the correct section. If so,, please let me know the appropriate one.

I am permanent resident of the UK and would like to apply for nationality. Unfortunately, I was out of country in the 5th year for more than 3 months, which prevented me from applying for nationality when I completed 5 years. Can I apply for nationality when I complete 6 years as permanent resident provided i am not out of country for more than 3 months in the 6th year?

I am asking this because some people say that since I was out of country for more than 3 months in the 5th year, I cannot apply for nationality at all (even in the 6th or 7th year for example, even if I am not out of country for more than 3 months during this period). Any info would be of much help. Thanks

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:47 pm

The period in which you cannot be absent for not more than 90 days is 'only' the year immediatley before the application date not previous years. It thus appears that you will be o.k. to apply for naturalisation in the circumstances you describe as long you as still meet the overall residence requirement which is:

If married to a British Citizen - must have lived in the UK for three years and total absences outside the UK in this period must not be more than 270 days and not more than 90 days in the last year.

If not married to a British Citizen - must have lived in the UK for five years and total absences outside the UK in these period must not be more than 450 days and not more than 90 days in the last year.

My reply to this post on the HSMP forum will have more info.

Good Luck

ishameeque

Post by ishameeque » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:57 pm

Thanks you for the info

Joseph
Member of Standing

British Nationality

Post by Joseph » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:31 pm

Please note that those absence numbers are not ironclad rules. There is a little leeway or discretion that the caseworker can apply, for example if you are out of the UK for business reasons.

You can state at the end of the application that you want to be considered on an exceptional basis, if you exceed the 90 / 270 day rule. If the extra days are not excessive, you should have no problem.

Joseph

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:06 am

Further to my earlier post there is a lot of discretion regarding excess absences (see the caseworker instructions below, which can be found on the follwing link):
4. Excess absences in the 5(3) year qualifying period

4.1 Under paragraph 2 and 4 of Schedule 1 to the British Nationality Act 1981, there is discretion to waive excess absences in the qualifying period. We should normally consider exercising this discretion as set out below, but only when we are satisfied that applicants have genuinely thrown in their lot with the United Kingdom and meet the other requirements.

4.1.1 Absences totalling 480 (300) days - normally disregard.

4.1.2 Total Absences of up to 900 (540) days - consider disregarding only if the application is otherwise in order, and if applicants have established their home, family and a substantial part of their estate here. We should also expect:

a. at least 2(1) years residence (without substantial absences) immediately prior to the 5(3) year qualifying period. If the period to be disregarded is greater than 730 (450) days, the period of prior residence should be at least 3(2) years; or

b. the excess absences to have been due either to postings abroad in Crown service under the government of the United Kingdom - for example as a member of HM Forces - or to accompanying a British citizen spouse on an overseas appointment (see also paragraph 6 below where the appointment is in Crown or designated service); or

c. the excess absences to have been an unavoidable consequence of the nature of a career (for example a merchant seaman or someone in UK-based business or employment which requires frequent travel abroad); or

d. exceptionally compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature to justify naturalisation now, including, for example, because the applicant has a firm offer of a job for which British citizenship is a statutory or professional requirement.

4.1.3 Only if it is clear from the information we have that the above considerations are met may the excess absences be disregarded. In some cases, it may be necessary to make further enquiries (e.g. using the RESIDENCE QUESTIONNAIRE) before a decision is made.

4.1.4 It would be extremely rare for absences exceeding 900/540 days to be waived. Applicants with absences exceeding 900/540 days should normally be refused and invited to re-apply when they are better able to bring themselves within the statutory requirements. If the circumstances of an individual case suggest the waiver of absences on this sort of scale, the papers should be considered at a senior level.

4.2 All cases involving consideration of the exercise of discretion for the reasons at c. and d. in paragraph 4.1.2 and in paragraph 4.1.4 above should be sent to INPD(L) Policy Section for noting on completion, whether the application is granted or refused.

5. Excess absences in the final year

5.1 In s.6(1) cases, we should normally exercise discretion over absences in the final year only if the future intentions requirement is met (see Annex G). If that requirement is met, and in s.6(2) cases, the following should apply:

5.1.1 Total absences not exceeding 100 days - normally disregard.

5.1.2 Total absences of more than 100 days but not more than 180 days where the residence requirements over the full 5(3) year qualifying period are met - consider disregarding if applicants have demonstrated links through the presence here of family, an established home and a substantial part of their estate.

5.1.3 Total absences of more than 100 days but not more than 180 days where the residence requirements over the full 5(3) year qualifying period are not met - consider disregarding only if:

a. applicants have demonstrated that they have made this country their home by establishing home, family and a substantial part of their estate here; and

b. the absence is justified by Crown service or by compelling occupational or compassionate reasons, taking account of the examples at b, c. and d. in paragraph 4.1.2 above.

5.1.4 Total absences exceeding 180 days where the residence requirements over the full 5(3) year qualifying period are met - consider disregarding if the criteria in paragraph 5.1.3 are met.

5.1.5 Total absences exceeding 180 days where the residence requirements over the full 5(3) year qualifying period are not met - consider disregarding only in the most exceptional circumstances and where the criteria in paragraph 5.1.3 are met (a decision to waive excess absences in these circumstances should be referred to INPD(L) Policy Section for noting on completion).
If you fall under these exception areas, my advice would be to apply sooner rather than later, so that you get in the queue. Be sure to tell us how it went! Good luck!

Joseph

User

British nationality - 5th year 90 days criteria

Post by User » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:16 pm

Hi All,

Any idea how the IND would treate absences outside UK which has been spent purely for carrying out work arising out fo my UK based professional services (i.e. my regular work).

Assume I have adequate documentation to prove the visits were for work purposes only - i.e my british company based work.

Documentation will include:

1. Flight tickets (in and out)
2. Professional e-mail based communication requesting my services outside UK for my british customers (as part of my regular consulting services in the UK)

Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

I wil be applying for my British passport around Jan 2005.

regards.

Joseph
Member of Standing

British Nationality

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:22 pm

User
c. the excess absences to have been an unavoidable consequence of the nature of a career (for example a merchant seaman or someone in UK-based business or employment which requires frequent travel abroad); or
It seems clear to me that the above clause from the quotation in my previous post would apply to you. If your absences are related to your work, they should take them into account and give you nationality anyway.

Joseph

User

Post by User » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:39 pm

Thanks Joseph. :D

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Starting point & Split of days

Post by NMSheikh » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:25 pm

Dear Seniors,

Can I please have the following information?

1. From where does the "year" counter start? Is it from the date of first entry in UK? Say, someone enters on 29 July then will each year (for the counting of days out of UK) be from 29 July to 28 July next year?

2. Regarding 90/450 days allowed absence for BC, is there any defined split of 360 days during first 4 years. Mine absences from UK (all due to overseas consultancy trips) during past 4 years are: Y1 - 0 days, Y2 - 27 days, Y3 - 223 days (64+7+87+65) and Y4 - 62 days. It would be about 60-70 days in the 5th year. It is of course not a symmetrical spread (like 90 days each year). Bottom line would be 70/382 with none of the absence exceeding 90 days. Any foreseeable problem in (i) ILR (ii) BC assuming all other requirements are met? Please comment on both ILR & BC.

3. If due to absence from UK, one is unable to secure his/her ILR or BC, can his/her spouse & kids apply and obtain ILR/BC who have completed continuous 4/5 years period as dependents and have his/her name on all the bank statements, bills, tenancy agreement etc and can also provide wage slips, P-60 of the spouse as supporting documents?

Thanks and Regards

Dip

Post by Dip » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:33 am

NM,

1. Yes, it starts from the day you enter the country

2. There is no defined rule of split for the first 3 years. Only the days in the last year prior to BC is defined. In your particular case, dont worry if you were abroad due to official work as long as you were earning in the UK and paying UK taxes.

3. This question foxes me. IMHO the answer is no, as they are dependents. Wait for somebody else to clarify.

Rgds
Dip

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:40 am

NMSheikh

1) I agree.

2) Dip is right. No problem with BC. Also there is no problem with ILR since all absenses were less than 90 days.

3) Your spouse would apply for BC on her own application and can include the children on her application (with your consent). So even if you didn't qualify (because of travel), they could apply for BC at the end of 5 years.

Joseph

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:03 am

NMSheikh,
3. If due to absence from UK, one is unable to secure his/her ILR or BC, can his/her spouse & kids apply and obtain ILR/BC who have completed continuous 4/5 years period as dependents and have his/her name on all the bank statements, bills, tenancy agreement etc and can also provide wage slips, P-60 of the spouse as supporting documents?
Spouse & kids cannot get ILR on stand alone basis as they are in the UK on a dependent category. However once they get ILR through you your spouse can apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen on his/her own accord as long as he/she meets all the other requirements. You kids can be included in either your application for naturalisation or that of your spouse but in their case they will be not naturalised but rather registered as British Citizens. There is no difference in status perse just a two route process.

Note that the kids do not have to meet the residence requirements - however in both ILR and naturalisation applications all people in the application form must be physically present in the UK when the HO receives the application. For ILR all must remain in the UK until decision is made but for naturalisation you can leave the UK shortly after submission of application and notification that fees have cleared and processing commenced - in this case do not send your original passports but rather certified copies. Note that the government is expected to announce plans for speeding up naturalisation applications which will not require submission of passports but copies thereof.

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Post by NMSheikh » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:30 pm

Many Thanks Dip, Joseph and Kayalami

Kind Regards

rock26
Newly Registered

Post by rock26 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:40 pm

Hi!

Consider that I get the ILR in april 2005 on WP basis . I apply for BC in april 2007 instead of april 2006. So it means that my total residancy period is 6 years before applying . Do they look for absences in the immediate last 5 years before applying (april 2002-april 2007) or they will consider the whole 6 six year period somehow (april 2001-april 2007). I am asking this because I have no absenses in the first and sixth year. But too many in the 2nd to fifth year .

Dear Joseph!!
Can you please mention the link from where you got all of the following info:

4. Excess absences in the 5(3) year qualifying period

4.1 Under paragraph 2 and 4 of Schedule 1 to the British Nationality Act 1981, there is discretion to waive excess absences in the qualifying period. ................................................................................................................................

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:56 am

rock26

Here's the link the above quotation came from:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/defaul ... ageId=2003

Joseph

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:59 am

Rock26

They only look at the 5 years before your application date (2002-2007).

Joseph

rock26
Newly Registered

Post by rock26 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:11 am

Joseph!

Thanks for your reply