ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US citizen who grew up in the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

complicatedus
Newly Registered
United States of America

US citizen who grew up in the UK

Post by complicatedus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Hello everyone,

I was born in the USA in 1980, and my mother married a British man in 1989. We moved to the UK in 1990, where I continued school.

I then studied at university and went on to work in London for 15 years.

I was never advised to adjust my status, and I kept my Indefinite Leave to Remain stamp in my passport. I have a National Insurance Number and all relevant UK documents (including a driving license). The only thing I do not have is a Passport.

I have been living in New York for the past few years, and would like to make sure I am in the best position possible moving forward.

Can anyone advise me on what my best next step might be?

As you can see I chalked up about 24 years of constant British residency, and my cultural upbringing and all relationships are British.

I did not expect to be in New York for so long, and so obviously now I'm a step behind in terms of being continuously in the UK for 2-5 years.

Is there a chance that my unique circumstances growing up will be grounds for appeal? I'd like to formalise my UK status or upgrade it, as all my friends and family live there!

Many thanks for your time,

Kim

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: US citizen who grew up in the UK

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

ILR is lost after 2 years if you do not maintain UK residency.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Re: US citizen who grew up in the UK

Post by vinny » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm

If you satisfy the exception to the two year rule, then you could try applying for a Returning resident visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.