ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need advice - Pregnant Australian GF on Working Holiday Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

saml268
Newly Registered

Need advice - Pregnant Australian GF on Working Holiday Visa

Post by saml268 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to help with the situation me and partner are in.

My partner is Australian who travelled to the UK in September 2016 on a 2 year Working Holiday Visa - her visa is due to expire on 29th September 2018. I am a UK citizen. I met her in November 2016, and in March 2017 she moved into my apartment. We are certain we want to remain together and eventually marry.

Unexpectedly, but happily, she fell pregnant late December 2017 - the due date is September 30th 2018, 1 day after her visa is due to expire. Whilst the original plan was to move out to Australia together, this is now off the table as it wouldn't work out financially to pack up and move to Australia given we have a baby on the way, nor would it be practical.

I am hoping someone could give me some advice as to the following:

- Does she have any right to remain in the UK during and after the pregnancy, which would involve her overstaying her visa? In my mind I could not imagine the UK forcing her to leave the country after she has just given birth? Is she entitled for free NHS care during this period (before and after the pregnancy).

- We want to get a visa that will allow her to stay in the UK indefinitely. What options have we got here? She moved in with me in March 2017, however, the partner visa's require a minimum of 2 years evidence of being together. By September 2018 we would only have 1.5 years of evidence, and we would want to submit an application as soon as possible so we would only have about 1 year 1 months evidence by the time we submit which does not meet the criteria of many of these visas. Is there another visa route I could take here?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Sam

Casa

Re: Need advice - Pregnant Australian GF on Working Holiday Visa

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 pm

saml268 wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 pm
Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to help with the situation me and partner are in.

My partner is Australian who travelled to the UK in September 2016 on a 2 year Working Holiday Visa - her visa is due to expire on 29th September 2018. I am a UK citizen. I met her in November 2016, and in March 2017 she moved into my apartment. We are certain we want to remain together and eventually marry.

Unexpectedly, but happily, she fell pregnant late December 2017 - the due date is September 30th 2018, 1 day after her visa is due to expire. Whilst the original plan was to move out to Australia together, this is now off the table as it wouldn't work out financially to pack up and move to Australia given we have a baby on the way, nor would it be practical.

I am hoping someone could give me some advice as to the following:

- Does she have any right to remain in the UK during and after the pregnancy, which would involve her overstaying her visa? In my mind I could not imagine the UK forcing her to leave the country after she has just given birth? Is she entitled for free NHS care during this period (before and after the pregnancy). No entitlement to free NHS facilities and all medical costs will be charged @ 150% of the costs. For a straightforward birth, this is likely to be a few thousand pounds. Any unpaid bill of over £500 is likely to result in a refusal of future visa applications.

- We want to get a visa that will allow her to stay in the UK indefinitely. What options have we got here? She moved in with me in March 2017, however, the partner visa's require a minimum of 2 years evidence of being together. By September 2018 we would only have 1.5 years of evidence, and we would want to submit an application as soon as possible so we would only have about 1 year 1 months evidence by the time we submit which does not meet the criteria of many of these visas. Is there another visa route I could take here? Marriage before her current visa expires? You won't qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry to be the bearer of advice you probably weren't hoping to receive. :|

Many thanks
Sam
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 pm

Read an article where someone was billed £40,000 for an NHS birth......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 am

Wanderer wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 pm
Read an article where someone was billed £40,000 for an NHS birth......
Premature baby currently in neo natal, so slightly different to normal.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.