ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Want to move to Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

JacquesD
Newly Registered
South Africa

Want to move to Ireland

Post by JacquesD » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi everybody,

I currently live in South Africa but have been contemplating moving to Ireland with my wife and pets, and hopefully my parents someday, not sure how I would get that right. We both have skills that fall under the critical skills shortage list, I'm a Web Developer with 11 years working experience and my wife is a Systems Analyst with approximately 7 years working experience, she also has an Honours degree in Psychology. Would I be able to get a visa if I get offered a position by a reputable company in Ireland.? What is the correct process in acquiring a work visa. I would also like us to become citizens as that is the long term goal. I would have to come over alone for a few months while she sells up our stuff. Is 60000 to 80000 Euros a good salary to live on initially as my wife will also look for work. How does one calculate taxes and cost of living etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Want to move to Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 pm

JacquesD wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi everybody,

I currently live in South Africa but have been contemplating moving to Ireland with my wife and pets, and hopefully my parents someday, not sure how I would get that right. We both have skills that fall under the critical skills shortage list, I'm a Web Developer with 11 years working experience and my wife is a Systems Analyst with approximately 7 years working experience, she also has an Honours degree in Psychology. Would I be able to get a visa if I get offered a position by a reputable company in Ireland.? What is the correct process in acquiring a work visa. I would also like us to become citizens as that is the long term goal. I would have to come over alone for a few months while she sells up our stuff. Is 60000 to 80000 Euros a good salary to live on initially as my wife will also look for work. How does one calculate taxes and cost of living etc.?

Thanks in advance!
On 80k net would be about 55k, or about 5k a month, but I think that would mean working in Dublin, with it's high housing costs and poor infrastructure.

I've just returned from working in Dublin for 12 months on around 150k half went in tax/PRSI and USC (ie Celtic Tiger failure tax) some on private health insurance (I have a serious heart issue, Irish NHS is swamped with all the detritus from EU and bogus asylum seekers and local druggies) all that plus keeping my home in UK and paying Dublin's unrealistically high rents meant I was struggling! Everything is 33-50% more expensive than UK, don't get me wrong I'm half Irish and my family are mostly Irish, but they're all in UK now and there's a reason for that.

I love Ireland, Dublin and the Irish but after 12 months it sapped all the energy out of me!

A decent crib in Dubs city is 3/4k a month, outside a lot cheaper, in shitholes like Tallaght and Coolock a lot cheaper but comes with a good chance of being shot.

Never go into a pub without any windows! There's a reason they have no windows!

Problem is the further you live out, the harder it is to get in for work, used to take me 50 mins to drive 7kms to work from Clontarf, bus was 25 mins but full of school kids none of which would give their seats up! Manners!

But, it's a great country! To retire in.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....