ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS charges

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rankaseye
Nigeria

NHS charges

Post by rankaseye » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone have been in same situation.
I have incurred NHS charges and have contacted the trust involved and the bill has been sent. It was also noted that its been forwarded to the home office. I will like to know if
1. this would affect my application. If I have to make payment instalmentally can this lead to refusal of my pendjng FLR-FP application with HO.

2. How will this information affect my application. Does it mean that once I accept the payment plan HO will request for receipt of payment or how does it work.

3. Will my application be refused and only approved after the bill has all been paid off.

Would be grateful if someone can enlighten me on this.

Thanks

alphagear
Member of Standing

Re: NHS charges

Post by alphagear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:59 am

They can only notify if treatments debt is over 500 and no payment plan for 2 months and no effort has been made to pay it.

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks alphagear. The charge is above £500 it runs into thousands of pounds I dont know how they expect me to pay for that if I don't work.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:57 pm

Go visit the overseas visit manager i believe and ask for a payment plan monthly.

How much you pay monthly depends how much you can afford.

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks alphagear. God bless

FXR_1340
Member of Standing

Post by FXR_1340 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:49 pm

rankaseye wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:43 pm
Hi, I would like to ask if anyone have been in same situation.
I have incurred NHS charges and have contacted the trust involved and the bill has been sent. It was also noted that its been forwarded to the home office. I will like to know if
1. this would affect my application. If I have to make payment instalmentally can this lead to refusal of my pendjng FLR-FP application with HO.

2. How will this information affect my application. Does it mean that once I accept the payment plan HO will request for receipt of payment or how does it work.

3. Will my application be refused and only approved after the bill has all been paid off.

Would be grateful if someone can enlighten me on this.

Thanks
Cant your travel insurance cover this cost?

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Don't have any idea about that and Don't have one.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 am

What was/ is your immigration status?
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Applied FLR- FP outside the immigration rule
Applied as a visitor in March 2017
Hav a 10 months old british child with a british partner born April 2017, was billed 6k for the birth.

Initially received IS96 to report every 2 months First time I went was asked to bring baby's birth certificate. On the 2nd visit it was changed to annually after submitting certificate of the baby.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Why so much?

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm

alphagear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Why so much?
Possibly due to the fact that NHS services as charged at 150% of the cost. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:35 pm

alphagear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:17 pm
Why so much?
People on a visit visa are charged at 150% of cost to the NHS.

And this post suggests that a straightforward childbirth on the NHS, without antenatal care, is about £2000.

EDIT: Beaten by Casa :D
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:08 pm

My wife was never charged close to 6k when she gave birth here.

4500 was the highest bill we got.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:09 pm

That was antenatal, birth and post natal care.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Many visitors underestimate the cost of a birth which may not be straightforward. For example the NHS reported in 2016 the cost of a caesarean section was £3,781. Taking into account the %150 charge, this would be £5,670 without pre-natal and ante-natal costs.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

alphagear
Member of Standing

Post by alphagear » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Yes most likely the case.

In my opinion, the OP should visit the overseas visitor manager at the hospital and arrange a payment plan.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:36 pm

alphagear wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 pm
Yes most likely the case.

In my opinion, the OP should visit the overseas visitor manager at the hospital and arrange a payment plan.
I agree.
(Casa, not CR001)

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:28 pm

I had a normal delivery but there was a complication that developed into loss of blood and had to be rushed into the theatre and I think this was the fault of the midwife and the resident doctor.
After the whole episode the hospital had to call me to apologise and I also spoke to the doctor who was depressed cos of what happened.
I think its because of this fact that the bill was as high as dat. I don't want to press charges because honestly God saved my life and am grateful for that.
I might probably visit the manager to set up the payment plan and discuss why the bill was that high as well.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Mention it to the manager, they may give discount / waiver some fee
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:53 pm

In my opinion its best to hold a good competitive priced health insurance too if someone can afford to cover NHS costs. I am sure such kind of health plan can be found.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

rankaseye
Nigeria

Post by rankaseye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 am

I would advise those who can return back to their country to make an application. If have come across this forum before I submitted the first application I would have willingly gone back because I did meet all the requirement and my husband earn 28k annually.
But we were wrongly advised that I could switch from my visitors visa to a spouse visa.
Its been a nightmare to be honest and if I get the so called silly spouse visa, I have a debt of 6k on my neck.
Have never experienced this before in my life. Its really frustrating and wicked to treat people in such manner.
I have a good immigration history. Never overstayed until this whole drama started, came to this country to study years back after my studies, I went back to my country and I come to the UK on holiday anytime I wish with my own money. I had a good job in my country and only accepted to stay back to save my marriage.
And I can't even put to words how the UK system has shattered my dreams.
Bit all the same am still grateful, I have a lovely beautiful baby and my marriage is intact.
I will survive. They want 6k will give it to them. May GOD help us all.

My advise if its possible if you can go back to your country please go back to submit the application.