ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to India with OCI and British passport with less than 6 months validity

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Travelling to India with OCI and British passport with less than 6 months validity

Post by dksuk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I need some advice. I am travelling to India with my 4.5 year old son on Thursday. We both have British passport and OCI card. But my son's passport is going to expire in August 2018 ( less than 6 months).
My question is.. can it be an issue? I hardly got any time to renew his passport.
Thanks
kdsuk

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Re: Travelling to India with OCI and British passport with less than 6 months validity

Post by dksuk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:26 am

I would appreciate if someone can give an advice or share experience..We are flying tomorrow. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling to India with OCI and British passport with less than 6 months validity

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Surely you knew before today that you were flying tomorrow??

Why did you not apply for a one day passport service to renew his passport??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by dksuk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks
1 day premier service is only available for 'Adult renewal' not for the kids.

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by dksuk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Here is the reply I got from Indian high commission.

"A traveller to India should have a valid visa/OCI card on a valid passport while entering India and exiting India. The validity of the passport can be ascertained with the immigration or the airline with which you are travelling. "

First line say.. my son can fly but as per second line.. it depends upon immigration/airlines

Suggestion/advice/experience? Please.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:35 pm

You could have then used the 1 week fast track if you had asked the questions or raised the query earlier.

Have you contacted the airline??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by dksuk » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 pm

I was not aware.. I only came to know about this when I could not do the check in last night.

Last night , spoke to airlines.. But i got a strange answer. the guy said you need to speak with British passport office whether you can fly or not.
I think, less than 6 months validity can cause problem from India immigration end rather from UK side.
I checked on foreign office website. Here I found some details. Again its an advisory, dont think its a rule.

"The guidelines regarding passport validity on arrival in India are unclear. To avoid possible problems at immigration, make sure your passport is valid for a minimum of 180 days at the time of entry into India".

It makes one thing clear that problem can be from Indian end. Thats why I wrote to Indian high commission and got the abovementioned reply. Their answer is also not that clear.
Thats why... I am in dilemma...
want to hear if someone has gone through from similar situation.

dksuk
Newly Registered
India

Post by dksuk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am

Just want to share my experience... Did not have any problem at airport or immigration yesterday.

sonub4ualt
Member of Standing

Post by sonub4ualt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi
Did u had to face anu questions at indian immigration? I m planning to take my 5 year old son to hyderabad and his passport is valid for 5 months.

te7032
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by te7032 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

Hi

We are travelling tomorrow with excactly same dilema... have 5 months left on my sons passport and we are on a 10 day trip : will this be a problem.

Any help is appreciated....

vjj
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by vjj » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Hello,
Can you please update? Were you able to travel with less than 6 months passport validity?

praul
Newly Registered

Post by praul » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am

Hi

We are travelling soon and have the same problem.
Can you please share your experience and if you had any problem.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 am

dksuk wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am
Just want to share my experience... Did not have any problem at airport or immigration yesterday.
Char (CR001 not Casa)