ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self employed in US. Moving back to UK first

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

zak2212
Newly Registered
Wales

Self employed in US. Moving back to UK first

Post by zak2212 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:59 am

Forgive me if this has been posted a million times before. I have tried searching but no results.

Could somebody give me some advice on how I would go about the following

Me, a British citizen and my wife, an American, are looking to move back to the UK.
I am self employed in the USA and would like to know if its possible for me to move back home to the UK and then bring my wife after a few months of me finding new housing etc.

I work mainly online so I cant show any proof of employment in the UK as my client base is worldwide. I have tax returns from the USA for the past 2 years and I exceed the Income threshold for work, 18,600.

I have a friend who did something similar but they moved back to the UK first and secured a PAYE job through employment

Hopefully someone knows the possibilities and procedures with this

Fingers crossed!

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Self employed in US. Moving back to UK first

Post by physicskate » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:14 am

The self-employment route is pretty brutal. You would have to be in the UK for at least a year to apply under this route and you would be separated for that time. (Category F or G).

Do you have savings of more than £62500? The savings route can include some types of pension and can come from the sale of a house (Category D).

If you were to have a job offer (PAYE) that would put you under category B - have earned £18600 in the past 12 months and have a job where you will do the same.

Get to learn the categories...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _Final.pdf