ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to English language requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Charlotte1234
Newly Registered

Changes to English language requirement

Post by Charlotte1234 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 am

Good morning,

My husband has a same day SET(M) appointment in May. I have seen that the English language criteria has changed since we last applied for his FLR as to what documents are required.

His first and only language is English, but as he is from a non majority English speaking country (South Africa), needs to provide the evidence he meets the English language criteria.

In his previous application for FLR he used his degree certificate from South Africa to meet the requirement. However the current criteria states that we now also need a letter from UK NARIC.

Do we need to obtain this letter, or are we able to just present the degree certificate because he previously met the criteria under the old rules on a previous application? It seems silly that we need to now submit more documents when he has already been assessed as having spoken English. I don't want to not obtain the letter the NARIC and the visa be refused, but equally if it isn't required I'd rather keep my £125.

Thanks
Charlotte

Charlotte1234
Newly Registered

Re: Changes to English language requirement

Post by Charlotte1234 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:09 am

I've found this in the guidance for home office staff here (p15) https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 0.0ext.pdf

Evidence from NARIC
An applicant must provide an AQUALS or a statement of comparability from UK
NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. Where the
Page 16 of 29 Published for Home Office staff on 28 March 2018
qualification was obtained in a non-majority English-speaking country, an ELPS or
an English language assessment (ELA) is also required. However, you do not need
to see additional confirmation from NARIC where the:
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the
requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted

• degree was awarded by a UK university
If the qualification has not previously been used for an immigration application, or the
previous application was refused, the applicant must obtain confirmation from NARIC
that it meets the relevant criteria.
An official statement from UK NARIC must be obtained before applying. See NARIC
- Visas and Nationality for further information.

This suggests that we do not need the letter from NARIC as his degree certificate will have been used for a previous application. Has anyone had experience of meeting the English language requirement in this way without NARIC's confirmation letter?

Thanks

Hfaz
Newly Registered

Post by Hfaz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:22 pm

I'm in similar situation and confused due to constant change in rules. My gut feeling is saying my degree certificate is enough as it was accepted during my qualifying period. But wanna make sure.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Charlotte1234 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 am
Good morning,

My husband has a same day SET(M) appointment in May. I have seen that the English language criteria has changed since we last applied for his FLR as to what documents are required.

His first and only language is English, but as he is from a non majority English speaking country (South Africa), needs to provide the evidence he meets the English language criteria.

In his previous application for FLR he used his degree certificate from South Africa to meet the requirement. However the current criteria states that we now also need a letter from UK NARIC.

Do we need to obtain this letter, or are we able to just present the degree certificate because he previously met the criteria under the old rules on a previous application? It seems silly that we need to now submit more documents when he has already been assessed as having spoken English. I don't want to not obtain the letter the NARIC and the visa be refused, but equally if it isn't required I'd rather keep my £125.

Thanks
Charlotte
A different answer to one you may be seeking, but in my opinion if your husband is able to take the B1 english language test from the approved UKVI list centres, for £150, your are eliminating this obstacle entirely for the requirements, it should be relatively easy as well to take and at least this way you dont have to worry about it.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

andrea878
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by andrea878 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Charlotte1234 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 am
Good morning,

Thanks
Charlotte
Hi,

Did you ever resolve this?
I am in the same situation and don't know whether to pay for the NARIC certificates, or just submit the university degree that was accepted previously.

Feedback would be much appreciated :)

andrea