ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indefinite leave to remain granted

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Aleksandra Johnson
Newly Registered

Indefinite leave to remain granted

Post by Aleksandra Johnson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:24 pm

I've been granted Indefinite leave to remain :D - can somebody please tell me if I still need a visa if I'm going abroad? Thanks!!

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Indefinite leave to remain granted

Post by thirdwave » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:03 pm

Aleksandra Johnson wrote:I've been granted Indefinite leave to remain :D - can somebody please tell me if I still need a visa if I'm going abroad? Thanks!!
Thanks for letting us know :wink:

Your visa requirements for travelling abroad remain the same..ILR means exatcly what it says on the tin i.e. there are no time limits placed on your stay in the UK and nothing else

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:07 pm

but u r still subject to same q on arrival and officer have all powers to stop entering in UK

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Once you get ILR, the questions change to: "How long have you been away?"

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:27 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:41 am

I got ILR in january and the first time I re-entered, with my wife, she got a different officer who asked her bluntly: "how did you qualify for this?" Her first language is not English and she understood "you cheated somehow, didn't you?" and mumbled that she "was not sure", i.e. not sure what my status was exactly that had earned her ILR as a dependant. And from there to seriously hostile questioning.

So, ILR is not the end of any road, it is just a waystation and you will still be questioned on first principles, not just how long you have been away. That is, until they introduce the new system that so far has no place for current ILR holders.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:50 am

Thats the standard question. It is kind of like a check. To be sure you are not using somoene else's passport. They are not judging you. I always find their tone takes me aback and with an offputting question, it is very uncomfortable.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 am

For ILR, the time that you have been away becomes very important because if it's more than two years and you haven't kept any ties with the country and don't have a returning resident visa, they can invalidate your ILR there and then.

It's happened to a few people I know.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:07 pm

paulp wrote:For ILR, the time that you have been away becomes very important because if it's more than two years and you haven't kept any ties with the country and don't have a returning resident visa, they can invalidate your ILR there and then.

It's happened to a few people I know.
Agreed but if you go it less than 6 months ago, seems to be a pointless question

Aleksandra Johnson
Newly Registered

Re: Indefinite leave to remain granted

Post by Aleksandra Johnson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for letting us know :wink:

Your visa requirements for travelling abroad remain the same..ILR means exatcly what it says on the tin i.e. there are no time limits placed on your stay in the UK and nothing else
[/quote]

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:58 pm

republique wrote:Agreed but if you go it less than 6 months ago, seems to be a pointless question
They don't know when somebody left because there aren't any stamps on exit. That's why they ask.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:18 pm

paulp wrote:
republique wrote:Agreed but if you go it less than 6 months ago, seems to be a pointless question
They don't know when somebody left because there aren't any stamps on exit. That's why they ask.
No I meant if the ILR was issued less than 6 months ago. It does state the date ILR was received.

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:15 pm

Hello mate,
Just a confirmation from your end, I am the main applicant so does my wife also needs to give life in the uk test ?

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:17 pm

I am the main applicant so does my wife also needs to give life in the uk test ?
Assuming she is in the age range 18-64, yes she does!
John

herts
Member of Standing

Post by herts » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:36 pm

thanks john for your fast reply mate, yes she is in the age between 18-64.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:02 am

republique wrote:No I meant if the ILR was issued less than 6 months ago. It does state the date ILR was received.
They still ask.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:11 pm

paulp wrote:
republique wrote:No I meant if the ILR was issued less than 6 months ago. It does state the date ILR was received.
They still ask.
Yeah I know.