ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I Study on a Tier 1 Visa?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chaudhryis
Newly Registered

Can I Study on a Tier 1 Visa?

Post by chaudhryis » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi,

I was earlier a little put-off due to HSMP visa strict rules, however this new Tier 1 visa looks a lot relaxed.

Can anyone confirm if I could study (Do a Fulltime MBA Program) while on a Tier 1 visa, and also if that period is counted towards the 5 year requirment for permanent residency?

Thank you.

Imran

P.S. Any idea when Tier one will be open for other country applicants applying from out side UK.

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Re: Can I Study on a Tier 1 Visa?

Post by T_mahmood » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:23 pm

chaudhryis wrote:Hi,

I was earlier a little put-off due to HSMP visa strict rules, however this new Tier 1 visa looks a lot relaxed.

Can anyone confirm if I could study (Do a Fulltime MBA Program) while on a Tier 1 visa, and also if that period is counted towards the 5 year requirment for permanent residency?

Thank you.

Imran

P.S. Any idea when Tier one will be open for other country applicants applying from out side UK.

Hi Imran

Tier 1 will be open for rest of the world in the mid summur of this year.
Yes you can study on Tier one visa and this period would be counted for your PR. But you have to keep in mind that basic purpose of this type of visa is to be econimically active and contribute in the local economy.
Thinking low is crime....

chaudhryis
Newly Registered

Post by chaudhryis » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Thankyou for your reply. I guess I would be economically active after spending 40,000 pounds on a MBA program :). But its great news.

Two more small queries.

1. What kind of timelines are we looking at in processing times?
2. When they say age 27 at the time of application, does that mean when they start processing your application or does that mean the time they issue a refference number?

Thank you again for your support.

Imran.

T_mahmood
Member of Standing

Post by T_mahmood » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:02 pm

chaudhryis wrote:Thankyou for your reply. I guess I would be economically active after spending 40,000 pounds on a MBA program :). But its great news.

Two more small queries.

you can check the processing time from home office's web site. Currently its 5-8 weeks.

2. When they say age 27 at the time of application, does that mean when they start processing your application or does that mean the time they issue a refference number?

It is on the day when they receive your application in the office.

Imran.
Thinking low is crime....

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:16 pm

not only economic active u have to pay tax and NI on yr Income depends on yr age

chaudhryis
Newly Registered

Post by chaudhryis » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:18 am

Thank you for your replys. The reason I am going to consider teir-1 and then persue education is because this way we can add the period spent as student towards the 5 year requirment for permenant residency.

Please suggest if there is a way where we go as student, (On student Visa) and then get Tier-1 later (After MBA) and still calculate the duration as a student (Student Visa) under eligibility towards 5 year stay duration.

Thank you.

Imran

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:23 pm

You could study while on HSMP visa, do not know bout Tier 1 yet but I am pretty sure it will be the same.

WHat you need to be aware of is that:
- They might change the rule anytime, the worst scenario is that if they apply retrospectively, or while you are studying with immediate effect. In this case you will be in a great trouble.

- You need to be cautious when you are about to extened your FLR undet tier 1 as you might not pass the poiint/income threshold because of your study.

chaudhryis wrote:Thank you for your replys. The reason I am going to consider teir-1 and then persue education is because this way we can add the period spent as student towards the 5 year requirment for permenant residency.

Please suggest if there is a way where we go as student, (On student Visa) and then get Tier-1 later (After MBA) and still calculate the duration as a student (Student Visa) under eligibility towards 5 year stay duration.

Thank you.

Imran
Pantaiema

friefox

Post by friefox » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:33 pm

you could look at part time study while working on Tier1. of course it would take longer than the full time, but you would be in a comfortable situation for FLR

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:42 pm

As far as I know MBA program with tuituion fee of over £35,000 in the UK is normally, Executive MBA, not regular MBA (correct me if I am wrong, or show evidence otherwise).

As far as I am aware executive MBA is designed for those who are under FT employment, the lecture, class module is desinged to suit your work load. You will find you just need to attend class in the evening, weekend, etc for just once a week.

In this case you could still cotinue working. This is executive MBA is all about.

chaudhryis wrote:Thankyou for your reply. I guess I would be economically active after spending 40,000 pounds on a MBA program :). But its great news.

Two more small queries.

Imran.
Pantaiema

slopsy
Newly Registered

Post by slopsy » Sun May 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm also wondering if you can study full-time while on a Tier 1 visa. I'm currently in the UK on HSMP and want to start my Masters at the end of the year. For various reasons I'd rather not switch to a student visa.

Everyone here seems pretty sure that you can study while on HSMP. I would be grateful though if anyone has any references (e.g. links to websites), or who have had personal experiences, that confirm this.

I agree that it makes sense that you should be able to study full time on Tier 1 / HSMP, but unfortunately the Home Office doesn't seem to operate on a policy of "common sense"!

Many thanks for your time

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun May 11, 2008 7:57 pm

It should be okay to study on either visa, but you'll need to be able to qualify for the criteria on renewal. If you give yourself enough time to do that, you'll be fine.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am

I personally know person who study under HSMP. I have read a few postings in this forum confirming these things. I have no idea about Tier 1, as this program is still new, but presumably will be the same.

You will never find the official source from the HO that will explicitly write to allow HSMP/Tier 1 for FT study. As, this is actually the loophole that the HO/BIA has not managed to ratify. They have not taken reasonable action yet as the number of people doing this is not significant to take the stern measure, however things might change once the numbers is already in alarming stage. People might still continue taking advantage of this loophole.

FYI, the people under HSMP/Tier 1 on FT education is not the things the HO/BIA would like to see, as this is actually not the area that Tier 1 is designed for. For FT education purpose, the student Visa is there.

But on the other hand, there are not any official the HSMP/Tier 1 documents that prohibit people under HSMP/Tier 1 to undertake FT study.

Pantaiema

slopsy wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm also wondering if you can study full-time while on a Tier 1 visa. I'm currently in the UK on HSMP and want to start my Masters at the end of the year. For various reasons I'd rather not switch to a student visa.

Everyone here seems pretty sure that you can study while on HSMP. I would be grateful though if anyone has any references (e.g. links to websites), or who have had personal experiences, that confirm this.

I agree that it makes sense that you should be able to study full time on Tier 1 / HSMP, but unfortunately the Home Office doesn't seem to operate on a policy of "common sense"!

Last edited by pantaiema on Mon May 12, 2008 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pantaiema

pyke

Post by pyke » Mon May 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes, you'd have to be careful about the criteria for extension but it's not prohibited.

Question - presumably the fees will be international student fees?

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Mon May 12, 2008 7:00 pm

I could ascertain that you will pay International Fee NOT home fee.
You will pay home fee once you get your ILR.

pyke wrote:.

Question - presumably the fees will be international student fees?
Pantaiema

jjhsmp
Newly Registered

Post by jjhsmp » Tue May 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Hi there, i dont think you can use your hsmp to study. I had received an hsmp approval - but at the same time got my admission into full time mba - and was advised by my lawyers to get a student visa instead of hsmp. there is no way one would be able to satisfy the income requirements after 1 year (and you have to show that you have been working for the last 1 yr) - not sure if its the same with Tier 1 visa.

slopsy wrote:Hi everyone,