ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of living in the UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Azurite
Newly Registered
Poland

Proof of living in the UK

Post by Azurite » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Hi All,

I'm filling in my online application for British Citizenship and I got to the 'documents' section. I'm an EEA citizen, I've been living in UK for 6.5 years and I'm married to a British citizen for 1 year. I got my EEA permanent residence card in January 2017.

I'm slightly confused how I should prove my living in the UK:
If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you are married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you do not have your passport, or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.
I always thought bank statements, bills, council tax bill etc are the proof of living in the UK (at least they were when I was applying for a permanent residence). I don't have a stamp in my passport as no one stamps EEA passports when crossing the border. I have a letter from my employer stating that I have been employed continuously since 12.09.2011 but is that enough? I've been employed by the same company all the time and I arrived in UK on 06.09.2011. Do I need to get any other proof and if so, what type?

I also have tax summary letters from HMRC - can these be used?

Many thanks in advance.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Proof of living in the UK

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:20 pm

My own application contained employers' letter covering 10 years,nothing else in terms of employment, no issue at all, so that would be the easiest way.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Azurite wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 pm
Hi All,

I'm filling in my online application for British Citizenship and I got to the 'documents' section. I'm an EEA citizen, I've been living in UK for 6.5 years and I'm married to a British citizen for 1 year. I got my EEA permanent residence card in January 2017.

I'm slightly confused how I should prove my living in the UK:
If you are an EEA National, you need to include letters from employers, educational establishments, or other Government Departments indicating your presence in the United Kingdom during the relevant period.

If you are an Non-EEA National, you need to include your passport to prove you have lived in the UK for the past 5 years (3 years if you are married to, or the partner of, a British citizen).

If you do not have your passport, or it was not stamped when you entered the UK, you need to include letters (for example, from your employer or government department) as proof.

Bank statements or household bills are not suitable proof you have been living in the UK.
I always thought bank statements, bills, council tax bill etc are the proof of living in the UK (at least they were when I was applying for a permanent residence). I don't have a stamp in my passport as no one stamps EEA passports when crossing the border. I have a letter from my employer stating that I have been employed continuously since 12.09.2011 but is that enough? I've been employed by the same company all the time and I arrived in UK on 06.09.2011. Do I need to get any other proof and if so, what type?

I also have tax summary letters from HMRC - can these be used?

Many thanks in advance.
Bank statement, bills etc are not required for naturalization application. My guess is that the documents cannot actually proof that you were physically present in the uk.

Letter from employer and your HMRC docs are adequate.

Daisy99
Newly Registered

Post by Daisy99 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi,
I am going to apply for citizenship(as suppose of British citizen).I don't have stamps on my passport.I need to proof of living in the UK.But I don't work.I am volunteering for Age UK for two years.Can I use a letter from them as proof?And Can I use hospital invitation letters for the year which I didn't start as volunteer ?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Daisy99 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:43 pm
Hi,
I am going to apply for citizenship(as suppose of British citizen).I don't have stamps on my passport.I need to proof of living in the UK.But I don't work.I am volunteering for Age UK for two years.Can I use a letter from them as proof?And Can I use hospital invitation letters for the year which I didn't start as volunteer ?
You should open your own topic instead of tagging onto someone else's.
A letter from Age UK should be ok though what is normally asked for is official documents (Council Tax, HMRC, DWP, cild benefit or state pension). I expect NHS letters may also be acceptable if you don't have anything else.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.