ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 Residence Card

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shane2008
Newly Registered

EEA2 Residence Card

Post by Shane2008 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi all,

My girlfriend (French) and myself (Australian) have been living together for 3 years. While living in Australia I applied for an EEA Family Permit which was granted. We then came to the UK, me arriving on this permit.

We have recently mailed off the application for the EEA2 residence Card. We enclosed the completed form, both our passports, my employment contract/payslip/letter from employer. My girlfriend (the French Citizen) isnt working at the moment, but is looking for a job. Did we give them everything that was required?

How long should it take to process? When will we get our passports back? Because I am assuming we cannot travel without our passports.

We mainly need my girlfriends back as she is looking for a job. She does have a French ID card from the French Embassy declaring she is French, she also has her birth certificate stating that she was born in France. Will employers accept this?

Thanks a lot for your help

thsths

Re: EEA2 Residence Card

Post by thsths » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Shane2008 wrote:How long should it take to process? When will we get our passports back? Because I am assuming we cannot travel without our passports.
Yes, you cannot travel without passport, but you can ask for your passports to be sent back. And under European law, this does not affect the application.
She does have a French ID card from the French Embassy declaring she is French, ... Will employers accept this?
The ID card is sufficient proof of identity, and it is also sufficient to travel within Europe. British people may be a bit skeptical, because they do not have ID cards. But the European ID card is a box on the tick list, so it should be fine. Personally I would have kept the passport and sent the ID card, but there is not much difference either way.

Tom

Shane2008
Newly Registered

Post by Shane2008 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:59 am

When I phoned the home office, they said that it needed to be a very good reason to be able to get the passports back before the decision being decided.

They also said that needing it to be able to work is not enough. How can this be? Why would they restrict someone from working?

They basically said there needs to be a death in the family and a need to travel.

Is this the case?

Any advice would be great

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:59 am

We asked for my husband's passport back (he's the EU national) saying he needed it to travel for work. Was fine. Posted back to us without a problem.

thsths

Post by thsths » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Shane2008 wrote:When I phoned the home office, they said that it needed to be a very good reason to be able to get the passports back before the decision being decided.

They also said that needing it to be able to work is not enough. How can this be? Why would they restrict someone from working?
Then just tell them you want to travel, for example for a family celebration. They are just being lazy.

Tom

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:39 pm

It actually says on the BIA website that you will be able recall your passport for ID or travel purposes. I would phone back and request it again.

Shane2008
Newly Registered

Post by Shane2008 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Pasha wrote:It actually says on the BIA website that you will be able recall your passport for ID or travel purposes. I would phone back and request it again.
Thanks for some great advice!!!

I'm hoping it has been completed within 6 months. They would have received it on the 31st March 2008. I need to travel back to Australia for a mates wedding in very early October.

Should I advise them of this now? Cause I would like to book the flight soonish, and want to make sure it is all fine and dandy by then.

Would they require any further information? We have included both our passports, my payslip, employer letter, contract of employment, evidence of funds and a completed EEA2 form. My girlfriend (the EU national) is not currently working.

Thanks again

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 pm

The sooner the better if you need your passport for ID or travel purposes between now and in 6 months time. Although if you did travel within this time and your EEA FP has expired, you should carry your certificate of application with you so to immigration officials so that you are not wrongly classified as having overtstayed the duration of the EEA FP.