ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please advise. Applying British Citenzenship (Surinder Singh)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Please advise. Applying British Citenzenship (Surinder Singh)

Post by ljdebenedictis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Hi. I’m just wondering if anyone can answer my queries regarding applying for citizenship (Surinder Singh Route), I tried researching but I was unfortunate to find any answers.

I lived in Cyprus for many years as my parents live in there (I’m not a Cypriot citizen; I hold Philippine passport). I studied and worked in Cyprus. Met my British boyfriend (now husband) in 2012 who studied and worked in Cyprus (RAF), got married in 2014 and decided to move to UK. I applied for EEA family permit (successful: 1st attempt) through Surinder Singh Route, arrived in UK June 2014, applied for Residence card (successful: 1st attempt) - got my passport back January 2015 (Expiration of Residence card: January 2020).

Now the question is, when can I start applying for British Citizenship?
1) according to gov.uk - you need 5 years of residency + 1 year of permanent residency (so basically 6 years of living in UK)
2) but also according to gov.uk - if you are married to British citizen, you can apply 3 years after marriage

I’m quite confuse about this as I understand that usually it needs 6 years of residency but if married to British, it is fine after 3 years of marriage. I can’t see a lot of articles regarding Surinder Singh cases who applied for British Citizenship.

Please can someone enlighten me

* PS: What will happen to me after Brexit? What sort of papers will I get?

Thanks you guys

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Re: Please advise. Applying British Citenzenship (Surinder Singh)

Post by Hstepper07 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm

ljdebenedictis wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 pm
Hi. I’m just wondering if anyone can answer my queries regarding applying for citizenship (Surinder Singh Route), I tried researching but I was unfortunate to find any answers.

I lived in Cyprus for many years as my parents live in there (I’m not a Cypriot citizen; I hold Philippine passport). I studied and worked in Cyprus. Met my British boyfriend (now husband) in 2012 who studied and worked in Cyprus (RAF), got married in 2014 and decided to move to UK. I applied for EEA family permit (successful: 1st attempt) through Surinder Singh Route, arrived in UK June 2014, applied for Residence card (successful: 1st attempt) - got my passport back January 2015 (Expiration of Residence card: January 2020).

1) according to gov.uk - you need 5 years of residency + 1 year of permanent residency (so basically 6 years of living in UK)
2) but also according to gov.uk - if you are married to British citizen, you can apply 3 years after marriage

I’m quite confuse about this as I understand that usually it needs 6 years of residency but if married to British, it is fine after 3 years of marriage. I can’t see a lot of articles regarding Surinder Singh cases who applied for British Citizenship.

Thanks you guys
It has to be 5 yrs of permanent residence under EEA route. You can apply for naturalization immediately after acquiring your PR card as the spouse of a BC. The 3 yr route is for spouse of BC under UK immigration route.

So far after Brexit, between 29th March 2019 and 31st December 2020, you can apply for settled status on completion of your 5 yr residence as set out in the Withdrawal Agreement.

The conditions for EU citizens and their family members to get settled status in the UK will be the same as, or more generous than, those set out in the existing Free Movement Directive.

The application fee will be no more than the cost charged to British citizens for a UK passport.

It will not be mandatory to apply for settled status before the end of the implementation period. It will be required if you intend naturalize.

After 31st December 2020, it will become mandatory to apply for settled status or temporary residence status.

www.gov.uk/guidance/status-of-eu-nation ... led-status

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Re: Please advise. Applying British Citenzenship (Surinder Singh)

Post by ljdebenedictis » Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 am

Hstepper07 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:20 pm
ljdebenedictis wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks you guys
It has to be 5 yrs of permanent residence under EEA route. You can apply for naturalization immediately after acquiring your PR card as the spouse of a BC. The 3 yr route is for spouse of BC under UK immigration route.

So far after Brexit, between 29th March 2019 and 31st December 2020, you can apply for settled status on completion of your 5 yr residence as set out in the Withdrawal Agreement.

The conditions for EU citizens and their family members to get settled status in the UK will be the same as, or more generous than, those set out in the existing Free Movement Directive.

The application fee will be no more than the cost charged to British citizens for a UK passport.

It will not be mandatory to apply for settled status before the end of the implementation period. It will be required if you intend naturalize.

After 31st December 2020, it will become mandatory to apply for settled status or temporary residence status.

www.gov.uk/guidance/status-of-eu-nation ... led-status
Hi. Thank you very much for your help. It’s a lot clearer now. Hope everything will be fine after brexit. I am really worried about it..

Thanks again