ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thai married Polish

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aliceyblue
Newly Registered

Thai married Polish

Post by aliceyblue » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:10 pm

hi I'm Thai (I'm here on student visa) and my boyfriend is Polish, we are currently in UK. However, we want to get married to stay and work in UK. I've been trying to find out how can I apply for visa to stay here in UK. Anyone has any suggestion please answer me.

Should I go to Poland and married then come back and stay in UK?
Or go back get married in thailand then apply for visa at british embassy(?) to come and settle in UK?
Or I can just change my student visa to working visa and married him in england?

thank you

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Assuming your student visa is still valid, apply for a COA to get married here in the UK, get married, and then apply for an EU Residence Card, as the spouse of an EU national.

You will then be free to live and work here, for the next five years at least, after which you can apply for Permenant Residence.

aliceyblue
Newly Registered

Post by aliceyblue » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Oh thank you so much! :D that's really good news, but how can I apply for this COA? And I have to get married only in England? And I can get married while I'm on student visa?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:54 pm

You might also want to get married in Poland, though I have heard it is a pretty complicated application process.

John

Post by John » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi, where do you want to get married? As already said, you can get married in the UK, after getting a CoA ... Certificate of Approval to Marry.

However, you want to get married in Thailand? Totally possible, and that would cut out the need to get a CoA, and the expense of obtaining that. But instead your fiancé would need to go to the Polish Embassy in Bangkok and swear an affirmation, then get that translated into Thai, then stamped by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs. After that the two of you go along to an Amphur and register the legal marriage.

As you know, in Thailand, a "mere" religious wedding has no legal significance, so as well as registering the marriage at the Amphur you would have a religious wedding, if you wish.

In case you are wondering, yes my wife is from Thailand, and yes we got married in Thailand.

After registering the marriage at the Amphur, you should apply for an EEA Family Permit, in Bangkok. However, in practice, if you travel back to the UK on your student visa, you could then apply for your Residence Card in the UK.

Either way, following the marriage, do get your Thai marriage certificate translated into English, at one of those numerous translation bureaux in the "Embassyland" area of Bangkok.
John

lovelydoll
Newly Registered

I am thai and my bf is polish also.

Post by lovelydoll » Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm

I am now in the netherlands as an Au Pair and my bf is in Poland. We want to marry in July in Poland. And when I finnish program in October I will go back to Thailand to apply for EEA. And my bf will go to find a job in Great Britain. So my questions are:

What documents should I prepare to get married in Poland?
-I already have the document prove that I am single but it is issued more than 6 months already( 11 months). So do I need to get a new one?
Do I need to translate my documents in English or in Polish? if in Polish, where can I find the place to translate them?
How long does it take to apply for EEA from Thailand?
And about statement for applying EEA, how much at least do we need?

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestion.

johnsienk
BANNED

Post by johnsienk » Tue May 20, 2008 8:33 pm

<original post deleted>