ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council tax question

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mrsrainbow143

Council tax question

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:17 am

hi all my husband is the one paying for council tax at home. im on spouse visa. will it be a problem if he will just be the one paying for council tax and wont add my name on it. i mean will it be a problem if my husband wont declare my name on council tax to were we live?

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Re: Council tax question

Post by Londoner007 » Mon May 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Any particular reason why he hasnt done so?
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

Alam-
Mood:

Post by Alam- » Mon May 21, 2018 1:18 pm

I have same question, I moved at my address in 2011 and was claiming 25% single person discount, my wife (then girlfriend) moved at my address in 2014 and since I was paying by direct debit, I never added her name on council tax or made any changes, it remained as usual since 2011. I am going to make an entry clearance application on spouse in a few months. Not sure if it would be considered by homeoffice.

Ballmigirl17
Albania

Post by Ballmigirl17 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:39 pm

If you are living with someone as a partner and are married then the single person discount doesn't apply you any more and you should tell the council immediately as you can get done for fraud.

My fiances name was on our council tax bills when we submitted whether or not it made a difference or not who knows. it would be nice for them to see joint bills in both names, but only if you have claimed to be living together already prior to the application

Mrsrainbow143

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm

i just arrived in uk sept last year but we have to sort my ni number, gp, work amd other utility bills that im added to his account. my husband told me last year that i will be added to his council once we move which is on 26th saturday this month. thanks guys its clear to me now.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Mrsrainbow143 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm
i just arrived in uk sept last year but we have to sort my ni number, gp, work amd other utility bills that im added to his account. my husband told me last year that i will be added to his council once we move which is on 26th saturday this month. thanks guys its clear to me now.
Has your husband been claiming the single person discount :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Mrsrainbow143

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 am

Casa wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm
Mrsrainbow143 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm
Has your husband been claiming the single person discount :?:
Hello, yes he mention last night he's claiming for single person discount. but on 26th we will move so it eill change. and hope its not too late for me to add on his council account? and also i heard in other group there still have discount for couple paying council tax but i dont how that works.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 pm

It's not too late to add yourself. Who said you need NI, GP etc to be added to council?

It is better to add a partner because in future you will need it for correspondence purposes. Hiding it can make things worse. Get yourself added as soon as possible.

Ballmigirl17
Albania

Post by Ballmigirl17 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Londoner007 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:13 pm
It's not too late to add yourself. Who said you need NI, GP etc to be added to council?

It is better to add a partner because in future you will need it for correspondence purposes. Hiding it can make things worse. Get yourself added as soon as possible.
Yeah you dont need any proof, i added my partners name just fine, and he was in the country illegally at the time but they were getting more money so no questions asked lol

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Be careful of any single person discounts if you submit these letters to Home Office and it shows you were getting single perosn council tax discounts it may raise eyebrows. Not worth trying to save money sneakingly on a visa you've spent 1000's on!

Ross1978
Newly Registered

Post by Ross1978 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 pm

We made my wifes spouse visa application 3 weeks ago. I'm really worried now because I had it on single person occupancy.

I did call the council at the beginning and asked them could I claim the 25% discount because my wife was just on a visit visa and not a permanent UK resident and they said I could claim it but must let them know when she gets her spouse visa.

After reading this thread I'm worried.

this visa thing is so stressful. :-(