ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Question - Citizen by Descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Passport Question - Citizen by Descent

Post by hmy605 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm working on getting my first UK passport as I have citizenship through my mother (I was born in 1988 in the US), who is a citizen other than by descent.
As I have been filling out the application it states that I will need to send in my US passport along with my other documents. Will it be an issue that I have last entered the UK on this passport and that it now has an expired stamp? Also, has anyone who applied from within the UK had success with sending in copies of their other passports? I'm hesitant to be without it in case of an emergency back home, especially as the US requires it's citizens to enter the country on their US passport.

ajitk1
BANNED

Re: Passport Question - Citizen by Descent

Post by ajitk1 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm

hmy605 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 pm
I'm working on getting my first UK passport as I have citizenship through my mother (I was born in 1988 in the US), who is a citizen other than by descent.
As I have been filling out the application it states that I will need to send in my US passport along with my other documents. Will it be an issue that I have last entered the UK on this passport and that it now has an expired stamp? Also, has anyone who applied from within the UK had success with sending in copies of their other passports? I'm hesitant to be without it in case of an emergency back home, especially as the US requires it's citizens to enter the country on their US passport.
Apparently you are now in the UK. Having entered the UK on a US passport should not be a problem as you dont have any other passport. But what do you mean by expired stamp?
If you need your passport back you can request for return of documents but it take something like 2 weeks so you have to consider that.

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:48 pm

ajitk1 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:29 pm
hmy605 wrote:
Apparently you are now in the UK. Having entered the UK on a US passport should not be a problem as you dont have any other passport. But what do you mean by expired stamp?
If you need your passport back you can request for return of documents but it take something like 2 weeks so you have to consider that.
I phrased that really terribly. I meant that the "leave to enter" date has expired. I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue as I was registered when I was little.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:18 am

hmy605 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:48 pm
I phrased that really terribly. I meant that the "leave to enter" date has expired. I'm assuming that shouldn't be an issue as I was registered when I was little.
Can you clarify the details of your Registration when you were little? Was your mother British otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ajitk1
BANNED

Post by ajitk1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am

hmy605 wrote:
ajitk1 wrote:
hmy605 wrote:
If you are already registered all u need do is to apply for a passport. You can use NCS or NDRS and not have to send your passport. The council will copy and attest it before submission. For the fee its worth it. You need to submit the registration cert, your original passport (US) and 2 photos only. The council will copy the documents and forward it.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:04 am

ajitk1 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:00 am
hmy605 wrote:
ajitk1 wrote:
hmy605 wrote:
If you are already registered all u need do is to apply for a passport. You can use NCS or NDRS and not have to send your passport. The council will copy and attest it before submission. For the fee its worth it. You need to submit the registration cert, your original passport (US) and 2 photos only. The council will copy the documents and forward it.
NCS and NDRS is for naturalisation and registration and NOT for passport only applications. OP is already British by descent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:18 am
hmy605 wrote:
Can you clarify the details of your Registration when you were little? Was your mother British otherwise than by descent at the time of your birth?
Yes she was. She's British by birth. I was listed on her passports when I was young. Maybe beyond that it doesn't merit any registration?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am

hmy605 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am
vinny wrote:
hmy605 wrote:
Yes she was. She's British by birth. I was listed on her passports when I was young. Maybe beyond that it doesn't merit any registration?
You are British by Descent automatically, no need to be registered.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:38 am
hmy605 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:34 am
vinny wrote:
hmy605 wrote:
You are British by Descent automatically, no need to be registered.
I think my bigger question is, as I entered on my US passport, will there be any issue in the system with me having entered as a "visitor" when getting my UK passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm

It should not but why have you waited till your visit visa entry stamp expired before applying for your British passport?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:08 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm
It should not but why have you waited till your visit visa entry stamp expired before applying for your British passport?
It was a stupid oversight on my part.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Out of interest/curiosity, what have you been doing in the UK for 6 months?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:18 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm
Out of interest/curiosity, what have you been doing in the UK for 6 months?
Helping my fiance take care of his ill mother after his father's sudden passing. Our stay needs to be significantly extended. I've worked remotely for the last 3 years, so it hadn't been an issue in that sense.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Any working while in the UK on a visitor visa is prohibited (this includes remote working, voluteering etc), just so you are aware.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm
Any working while in the UK on a visitor visa is prohibited (this includes remote working, voluteering etc), just so you are aware.
This I did know. I more meant, I'm self employed so it was easy for me to take time off.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Many aren't aware, so only reason I mentioned it :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)

hmy605
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hmy605 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

The help is appreciated! :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm

You're welcome. Feel free to ask any further questions if you have any.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:55 pm

If you are (automatically) British, then you are not subject to grants of leave!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.