ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Funds

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 4 Dependent questions

Post by 2597615832 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 am

Have a few questions I can't find 100% answers for on the visa site and some that are just past experience type

Background: My wife got into a master's program. She wants me to come with her. She is a Chinese citizen I am American. We live in China. I recently quit my job and changed my visa and no longer have a residence epermit for china.

1. Since we were married in China will I be able to apply with her at the time she applies for her visa or no since I no longer have a residence permit in China?

2. If I can't apply in China I'll need to go back to America to do it. Will the bank records from China with her name be fine to use when applying in America since I'll be applying as her dependent?

3. Will going with her first to help her settle down (rent a place, etc) then flying to america after a month or few weeks to do the visa have any negative consequences on my application?

4. Anybody on here ever applied from inside China before any thing special she should know?

5. If I have a spousal visa for China would I be able to apply for the dependent visa to UK? I don't have one currently but from my knowledge they still don't give residence permits for that visa. Only student and work visas.
Thank you to anyone that takes time to help. If I have to fly back to the US it isn't really a problem, just worried about her being alone in a new place for too long.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Dependent questions

Post by sah10406 » Sun May 06, 2018 9:26 am

2597615832 wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:15 am
1. Since we were married in China will I be able to apply with her at the time she applies for her visa or no since I no longer have a residence permit in China?
Where you were married is not relevant. It depends whether you are living in China or just visiting there. For details, see https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pply-ecb05
2597615832 wrote:
2. If I can't apply in China I'll need to go back to America to do it. Will the bank records from China with her name be fine to use when applying in America since I'll be applying as her dependent?
Yes, if she is paying for your living costs. See Appendix E of the immigration rules, paragraph (f):
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... m-migrants
2597615832 wrote:
3. Will going with her first to help her settle down (rent a place, etc) then flying to america after a month or few weeks to do the visa have any negative consequences on my application?
No, but how are you planning to enter the UK first time? As a Standard Visitor? If so, that may be a difficult one to prove to the Border Force Officer, given that you are entering with your wife who is staying for much longer than you say you are. If this is your plan, you might want to apply for a Standard Visitor visa before you travel, to minimise any problems on entry.
2597615832 wrote:
4. Anybody on here ever applied from inside China before any thing special she should know?
Your wife can get advice from her Tier 4 sponsor. Given the demographics of international students in the UK, most applications for Tier 4 visas are made in China.
2597615832 wrote:
5. If I have a spousal visa for China would I be able to apply for the dependent visa to UK? I don't have one currently but from my knowledge they still don't give residence permits for that visa. Only student and work visas.
See question 1.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by 2597615832 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 am

1. Thanks seems I'll have to go back to US since I cancelled my residence permit =/

2. Its our money, but for her visa purposes we just threw it all into one account with her name on it, so yes it would be her paying for me in the eyes of the visa office.

3. I was planning to enter as a visitor, and would already have an onward ticket to America after 2 weeks or so. I don't think it would be that big of a problem to just say the truth, that I came to help her get situated, then I will be returning to America after 2 weeks and show the ticket. or Would it just be best to return to america in let's say August and apply for my visa then just meet her in the UK? She should be getting her visa at the end of june/july somewhere around there, so I should be able to apply for mine after she receives hers.

4. This question was mainly meant for like how different application centers do things differently. Some people are convinced others are kinder than others, etc there are I think 12 application centers in China.

sah10406
Diamond Member

Post by sah10406 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:17 am

2597615832 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 am
Would it just be best to return to america in let's say August and apply for my visa then just meet her in the UK?
Either way. The main thing would be to be very clear that you are entering as a Standard Visitor, with proof that you meet the criteria including enough money, not intending to work, and leaving after your visit.
2597615832 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 3:42 am
4. This question was mainly meant for like how different application centers do things differently. Some people are convinced others are kinder than others, etc there are I think 12 application centers in China.
The system doesn't work like that. It is a box-ticking exercise, there is very little discretion and judgement.
People say "My friend applied at Guangdong and they refused her because of her bank statement" and draw conclusions about the staff at that post, but it just means their friend made a poor application without the correct bank statement.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Newly Registered
United States of America

Proof of Funds

Post by 2597615832 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am

So we are having a little argument about how the proof of funds works for Tier 4 student visa. We are in China.

So we understand that the money has needed to be in the account for at least 28 days consecutively. No problem. It's been in there for over a month now. Here's where the confusion comes.

My wife is adament that the Chinese bank needs to freeze the money and that the money will be frozen from the day you print the statement until a set day (31 days) and during that time is when she will need to apply for her visa. I don't see anywhere online where the money needs to be frozen in the account. Just that it simply needs to be in the account and that you have at least 28 days after receiving the statement to apply for the visa.

So using her idea. We freeze the money tomorrow printing the statement and she will then have until July 3rd to apply (28 days). Correct?

Or

Do we simply need to print a statement showing we've had that money in an account for over a month. Then we have up to 28 days after printing it to apply for her visa??

Side question

I will be applying for my visa separately in the US (dependent) during the end of July. So should I use the same statement as her or will we need to then print another statement allowing for another 28 days after it being printed for me to apply?

I'm asking this because we will need the money to buy tickets to america then to UK then rent an apartment etc and don't want to have such a large chunk of money frozen because I had to apply for my visa a month later.

If someone can please explain this proof of funds thing to me clearer that will be a great help.

I think it's like this. Money needs to be in 28 days before and then you have 28 days to apply. Right?

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Proof of Funds

Post by sah10406 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:16 am

2597615832 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am
Do we simply need to print a statement showing we've had that money in an account for over a month. Then we have up to 28 days after printing it to apply for her visa??
Yes, but you have up to 31 days to apply, not 28. The money must have been held for at least 28 days, not "over a month".

I don't know where she is getting this "freezing" requirement from. It doesn't exist.
2597615832 wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am
I will be applying for my visa separately in the US (dependent) during the end of July. So should I use the same statement as her or will we need to then print another statement allowing for another 28 days after it being printed for me to apply?
The latter. See previous answer for how long the money must have been held and how recent the statement must be.

Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Proof of Funds

Post by 2597615832 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:23 am

Thank you for the reply