ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Copey63
Newly Registered
United States of America

Expired ILR

Post by Copey63 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi. I am American and I lived with my British husband for 10 years in the UK. We moved to the US 5 years ago to help with family and now want to move back. Do I have to start all over again AND wait the five years for an ILR? Do they (the powers that be) look at your previous life in the UK (National Insurance #, Job, mortgage)? IS there any hope in applying for a Returning Resident Visa? My husband and I are both teachers and he has a potential job offer. Thanks!

4uvak

Re: Expired ILR

Post by 4uvak » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:58 pm

ILR allows a maximum absence from the UK of 2 years. So now you need to start all over again.

marcnath

Post by marcnath » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:19 pm

Copey63 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:32 pm
Hi. I am American and I lived with my British husband for 10 years in the UK. We moved to the US 5 years ago to help with family and now want to move back. Do I have to start all over again AND wait the five years for an ILR? Do they (the powers that be) look at your previous life in the UK (National Insurance #, Job, mortgage)? IS there any hope in applying for a Returning Resident Visa? My husband and I are both teachers and he has a potential job offer. Thanks!
You have nothing to lose in applying for a returning resident visa.
There is discretion there and it would depend on how and what your connections were in the last 5 years - did you still have a property here, did you have family here, etc.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 pm

You won’t get a Returning Resident visa unless you’re also able to show what exceptional personal circumstances have led to you being out of the country for this long.

You must provide enough evidence to show:

•your strong family ties to the UK
•you lived in the UK most of your life
•your current circumstances and why you’ve lived outside the UK

https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice