ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I entitled to ROA

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Am I entitled to ROA

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am

Hello wonder if anyone can help

My Grandmother, Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother were all born in the UK. At the time of applying for my ILR I was unable to locate this information so applied through marriage to a British Citizen whom I was married to for 17 years. We are now separated and I have obtained information on my Grandparents citizenship. I was also born in Rhodesia at the time it was a British Colony. Would I be entitled to apply through ROA or ancetral citizenship instead of going the other route of applying for citizenship through ILR?

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Am I entitled to ROA

Post by adkenneth02 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 am

Hello, I hope someone can help. I arrived in the UK 6 years ago on my then husband's British passport, since obtained ILR 3 years now and we have separated, living apart. At the time of applying for my ILR I was not able to locate past documents relating to my grandmother BORN uk and both great grandmother and great grandfather born UK so applied as married to British Citizen. I have now located birth certificates for my grandparents and was wondering if I would be entitled to apply for citizenship or ROA through ancestry so that I can get my British Citizenship as I don't want to have to apply for citizenship through ILR due to the cost.

secret.simon

Re: Am I entitled to ROA

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Was it your paternal or maternal grandmother born in the UK? Which year was she born in the UK? When and where was the intervening parent born? When and where were you born?

Have you got documentary proof (birth and marriage certificates) for both your grandparents and parents?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am

Hello
Thank you for your response. My maternal Grandmother was born in the UK 1933. I was born in Rhodesia when it was still a British Colony and held a British passport for a few years then later moved to South Africa and obtained South African nationality. My Great Grandmother (Maternal) and Great Grandfather were both born in the UK.

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am

My parents were not born in the UK. I have my grandmother's and Great Grandfather's birth certificate and currently trying to obtain my great grandmother's birth certificate.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am

Where and when was your mother born?

It may be possible for you to register as a British citizen as the child of a British citizen mother by descent using Form UKM.

You will likely need your parents' and grandparents' marriage certificate, your grandmother's, mother's and your own birth certificates. Don't worry about the generations before that.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm

Hello

My mother and father were both born in Cape Town South Africa in 1950 and 1953. They met in Rhodesia and I was born in Rhodesia 1971. Not sure my mother or father count as a british citizens though they both had british passports and I have their birth certificates and marriage certificate. I believe when we moved to South Africa as a family some years later we had to renounce our British passport to get a South African passport. My father later moved to the UK and lived and worked here for roughly 15 years, would have obtained a british passport, unfortunately I cannot locate him anywhere, have tried. I've also tried finding information on him during the years he was living and working here but archives can't find records of him.

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:58 am

Hello

Was just wondering if someone could give me a little advice on whether I would be entitled to apply for a British Citizenship through grandmothers British Citizenship.

Many thanks

adkenneth02
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by adkenneth02 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 am

Hello

Sorry to be a pain. I was just wondering if someone could help me with an answer to my previous question.

I've been living and working in the UK for 6 years now. At the time I received my ILR, I had applied for ILR through marriage to a British Citizen 3 years ago, as I was not able to locate any information on my grandmothers British Citizenship. My husband and I are separated now and I have her documentation now and was wondering if I still need to apply for British citizenship through ILR or whether I can apply for naturalisation through my grandmothers British Citizenship (born UK). Ideally I would prefer to go through my grandmothers British passport.

Many thanks

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:24 am

adkenneth02 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:05 am
My maternal Grandmother was born in the UK 1933.
Before 1983, only fathers could pass on British citizenship to their children automatically. When and where was your maternal grandfather born? Also, where were your paternal grandparents born?
adkenneth02 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:05 pm
My mother and father were both born in Cape Town South Africa in 1950 and 1953. They met in Rhodesia and I was born in Rhodesia 1971.
It is unlikely that you will be able to acquire British citizenship based on your maternal grandmother's birth in the UK. If you have ILR, you may be better off applying for naturalisation in the usual manner.