ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vikmeon
Newly Registered

British passport for children

Post by vikmeon » Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm

Dear All,
I am a British citizen, i am married to an Indian citizen, I have a good job offer in India hence planning to move to India for a while. We are planning to have children, my question is 1) Can my children apply for British citizenship from India whilst they live there or will they have to apply for Indian citizenship 2) since the mother is Indian and myself British will it affect them from getting British citizenship in future. Please advise.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British passport for children

Post by CR001 » Thu May 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Are you British born to British parents OR born abroad to British parents and British by Descent OR are you a naturalised British citizen??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vikmeon
Newly Registered

Children citizenship

Post by vikmeon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Dear all,
I am a British citizen, my wife is a Indian passport holder. She is currently pregnant. Will th child be entitled for British citizenship even if he or she is born in India. Any advice in this regards will be much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Children citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Topics Merged.

I did ask for clarity in the identical question topic you posted in May.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 pm

vikmeon wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 pm
I am a British citizen
Were you a British citizen by birth and if so, where were you born? Or did you become a British citizen by naturalisation, later on in life?

The answer to those questions, which CR001 had already asked, but you failed to respond to, determines the citizenships that your child can acquire.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vikmeon
Newly Registered

Post by vikmeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:32 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:27 pm
Are you British born to British parents OR born abroad to British parents and British by Descent OR are you a naturalised British citizen??
I am Naturalised citizen

vikmeon
Newly Registered

Post by vikmeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 pm
vikmeon wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:47 pm
I am a British citizen
Were you a British citizen by birth and if so, where were you born? Or did you become a British citizen by naturalisation, later on in life?

The answer to those questions, which CR001 had already asked, but you failed to respond to, determines the citizenships that your child can acquire.
Sorry for the late reply, I was born in India and acquired British Citizenship in 2012.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:37 am

Any child born AFTER you became British is automatically a British citizen. If born abroad the child is British by Descent and cannot pass the citizenship on to their children born abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm

vikmeon wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:25 pm
Can my children apply for British citizenship from India whilst they live there or will they have to apply for Indian citizenship 2) since the mother is Indian and myself British will it affect them from getting British citizenship in future. Please advise.
Keep note that if the children demonstrate British citizenship, such as by obtaining a passport (even if you do it for them), then they will not be Indian citizens. I haven't found any clear information on how India handles situations for children born in the country who are not citizens, but it seems pretty relaxed. However whilst you are there, you should consider getting their OCI (which you can do from India) sorted out. I believe that around the age of 18, they can decide for themselves whether to acquire Indian citizenship or sticking with their British citizenship. Obviously if you plan on traveling outside of India at anytime, something along those lines must be done if you want to return to India with them.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm
vikmeon wrote:
Can my children apply for British citizenship from India whilst they live there or will they have to apply for Indian citizenship 2) since the mother is Indian and myself British will it affect them from getting British citizenship in future. Please advise.
Keep note that if the children demonstrate British citizenship, such as by obtaining a passport (even if you do it for them), then they will not be Indian citizens. I haven't found any clear information on how India handles situations for children born in the country who are not citizens, but it seems pretty relaxed. However whilst you are there, you should consider getting their OCI (which you can do from India) sorted out. I believe that around the age of 18, they can decide for themselves whether to acquire Indian citizenship or sticking with their British citizenship. Obviously if you plan on traveling outside of India at anytime, something along those lines must be done if you want to return to India with them.
A child born to parents who are Indian and British respectively, retains both citizenships and has to decide on turning 18 which to keep.

ROA might be the better option though.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vikmeon
Newly Registered

Post by vikmeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Many thanks for the replies, We have decided to have the baby in UK, get british Citizenship and Overseas Indian citizenship for the baby and then relocate to India. I am don't know if we are doing the right thing. :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:20 pm

Should be fine. Many have done this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vikmeon
Newly Registered

Post by vikmeon » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:25 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm
ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:00 pm
vikmeon wrote:
A child born to parents who are Indian and British respectively, retains both citizenships and has to decide on turning 18 which to keep.

ROA might be the better option though.
thanks for the reply and pardon my ignorance, can you please tell me what ROA means.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:26 pm

Right of Abode or Certificate of Entitlement. This would be an application and vignette placed in an Indian (or foreign) passport. Costs just over £400 I think and has to be applied for each time the passport expires.

Cannot get RoA etc if you hold a British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
There was an extended discussion on this, but I can't find the thread. I believe I was part of that discussion. Would you be able to use your mod search powers and link to that? I'd like to read through it again, as I don't know if this point was succintly clear, or if it was just our best interpretation of the wording of the law.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:13 pm

ouflak1 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm
CR001 wrote:
There was an extended discussion on this, but I can't find the thread. I believe I was part of that discussion. Would you be able to use your mod search powers and link to that? I'd like to read through it again, as I don't know if this point was succintly clear, or if it was just our best interpretation of the wording of the law.
See the two links below which came to mind instantly (I remember the usernames :oops: )

other-countries/frro-confirmation-that- ... l#p1612127

other-countries/section-8-2-in-indian-c ... 37261.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)