ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to supply my original passport for a C visa application?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ryuzaki

Do I need to supply my original passport for a C visa application?

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:14 pm

I am a British citizen moving to Ireland for work. I want my Chinese wife to join me. We are applying for a C visa as the spouse of an EEA citizen.

According to the INIS web site documents submitted must be originals:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Fa ... s+citizens

The guidelines (2.3.i) say you need to provide a passport for the EEA citizen:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Processi ... _38_EC.pdf

So does this mean I need to send my original passport to China? Because I need it to travel to Ireland, aside from anything else...

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Do I need to supply my original passport for a C visa application?

Post by max307 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm

I wouldn’t think that’s the case, technically they will be restricting your movement if you need to hand in your passport while the visa is processed. A C visa takes about 8 weeks so I would assume a certified copy of the EU passport should be fine, get in touch with the Irish embassy in China.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Thank you. A certified copy sounds expensive but I'll have to do it.

Also, 8 weeks? The guide book says maximum 4.

And on that subject, I need to get my marriage certificate translated. I can get it done online with a "certified" PDF copy that they say is okay for US immigration, but I don't know if Irish immigration would accept it.

Considering this visa is supposed to be free it seems to be really expensive.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:53 pm
Thank you. A certified copy sounds expensive but I'll have to do it.

Also, 8 weeks? The guide book says maximum 4.

And on that subject, I need to get my marriage certificate translated. I can get it done online with a "certified" PDF copy that they say is okay for US immigration, but I don't know if Irish immigration would accept it.

Considering this visa is supposed to be free it seems to be really expensive.
If you are in Ireland a gardai (police officer) can do this free of charge, you just need to bring the original passport and a photocopy of the bio page to any Garda station and they will certify it. Probably the same process applies for the marriage certificate but I’m not entirely sure, if not a solicitor can certify both (passport & marriage certificate) for a small fee.

Did you check with the embassy of the country where the marriage took place? Most embassies will do the certified copy part of the process service free of charge and then you can get it translated online.

This is from INIS website: In general, you can expect a decision for a short stay visit (tourist) visa is about 8 weeks after your documents are received.

Most cases the visa is issued before the 8 weeks unless there are complications.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Thanks. I'm not in Ireland yet. I have accepted a job there, I'm just working my notice. Was hoping she could come right away, EEA visas are supposed to be accelerated.

I guess my wife will need to go to the local immigration office (VFS?) in China with her documentation.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:34 pm

ryuzaki wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 pm
Thanks. I'm not in Ireland yet. I have accepted a job there, I'm just working my notice. Was hoping she could come right away, EEA visas are supposed to be accelerated.

I guess my wife will need to go to the local immigration office (VFS?) in China with her documentation.
These are the instructions from the Irish embassy in China:

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/china/ ... -to-apply/

ryuzaki

Post by ryuzaki » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks, it's the same place as the British visa centre. I just hope it goes okay.