ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about Citizenship date

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

a1d
Newly Registered

Confused about Citizenship date

Post by a1d » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Hey Team!

Just a quick question on whether I've got this right?

I am applying for citizenship as the spouse of a BC. I travelled for a few weeks and was physically present in the UK on 15/08/15 (the day I arrived back into LHR). I am planning to submit my online application on 15/08/18 and have an NDRS+JCAP appointment booked at my local council on 16/08/18.

Am I okay to submit the application online on the 15th or does this have to be on the 16th? On the GOV website I read: you must "prove you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application".

As always your help is appreciated!

A

secret.simon

Re: Confused about Citizenship date

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Simple compromise. Do it on the 16th just past midnight (effectively, for you, the night of the 15th).

In any case, the strict requirement is that you must be physically present at the start of the three year period. So, if you were to apply on 15th August, that would mean that you must be physically present in the UK on 16th August 2015, which you were.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

a1d
Newly Registered

Re: Confused about Citizenship date

Post by a1d » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for replying Secret Simon!

Sorry, but if I were to apply on the 15th wouldn't I need to have been present in the UK on the 14th? Or am I mixing things up?

What I gathered, I can apply on the 16th because I was physically present 1 day before this 3 years ago (15/08/15). But if I send the online application on the 15th, I would need to have been present in the UK on the 14th?

Does that make sense?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!