ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is an approved UK academic degree for language purposes?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ambstuc
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

What is an approved UK academic degree for language purposes?

Post by ambstuc » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi, I am an EEA national applying for naturalisation. I came to the UK 15ys ago, with a primary medical degree abroad (Germany), but since then taken the Royal College of GPs Membership exam (MRCGP), and also a postgraduate Diploma degree (PGDip) at Bradford University.

I cannot find any advice on what constitutes a valid academic qualification? According to https://www.gov.uk/what-different-quali ... on-levels a postgraduate diploma is level 7 - the same as a Master's degree (which is specifically mentioned on the paper version of the naturalisation application). A friend also told me the the MRCGP would be acceptable, but this is just hearsay...

Would appreciate any advice on this if I still need to fork out £150 and a day out to Sheffield for a 10 minute interview :cry: ... Thanks!

Klarae
Newly Registered
Mood:

Re: What is an approved UK academic degree for language purposes?

Post by Klarae » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

It has to be a course up to and above degree level taught in the UK. I think your qualifications fall in this category as it is above degree level. As long as you have your received original diploma then you could be fine

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 pm

A degree issued by a recognised institution:
https://www.gov.uk/check-a-university-i ... sed-bodies
Bradford is on the list though I am not familiar with the qualification PGDip.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ambstuc
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

Post by ambstuc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you, both comments are reassuring and valuable!

ambstuc
Newly Registered
Mood:
Germany

Post by ambstuc » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Just an update on this:

Rang Home Office to try and clarify if
a) they only wanted the original certificate of my Diploma or
b) they would not accept the Diploma for language purposes as it was possibly regarded as "vocational" or "professional" - the 2 exceptions in the attached guidance from the home office

They could not give me any specific information on this and asked me to write to my case worker via letter. However, the timeline they had set me was too tight, so I decided to go for a level 5 language test in Leeds with Trinity, but sent the original from the Diploma anyway. The Trinity test was a good experience, can only recommend them, but cost me another £150+travel. On return from Leeds, I found my approval letter in the post! So the conclusion: they only wanted the original certificate and accepted the Diploma for langua purposes. Hope this helps somebody in the future.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:58 am

Well done & congratulations - hope they have returned your original(s).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.