ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR English language Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

charmy244
Newly Registered

ILR English language Requirement

Post by charmy244 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:07 am

I applied for FLR(M) 2 years ago and proved my knowledge of English by following :

1. Degree taught in English
2. Confirmation from university that my degree was taught in English
3. Certificate from UK Naric confirming that My qualification is of Level C1

My visa was approved on the basis of that. Now I am preparing to apply for my ILR and MY question is Do I have to take An English Exam to prove my knowledge of English For ILR to prove B1 level of English knowledge ? OR Above 3 documents are enough to prove my English Language requirement for Settlement ?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you :)

vinny

Re: ILR English language Requirement

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:19 pm

Rules
2.2 wrote: For the purposes of paragraph 2.1, an applicant demonstrates sufficient knowledge of the English language if:

(a) the applicant has provided specified documentary evidence that:

iii) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification(not a professional or vocational qualification), which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, from an educational establishment in one of the following countries: Antigua and Barbuda; Australia; The Bahamas; Barbados; Belize; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; New Zealand; St Kitts and Nevis; St Lucia; St Vincent and The Grenadines; Trinidad and Tobago; the UK; the USA; and provides the specified documents;
or

iv) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and
(1) provides the specified documentary evidence to show he has the qualification, and
(2) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or

v) the applicant has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, and provides the specified evidence to show:
(1) he has the qualification, and
(2) that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or.
Does it make sense for the need of UK NARIC to deem a UK degree as being comparable to a UK degree?

Guidance for caseworkers
Knowledge of language and life in the UK wrote:Evidence from NARIC
An applicant must provide an AQUALS or a statement of comparability from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification. Where the qualification was obtained in a non-majority English-speaking country, an ELPS or an English language assessment (ELA) is also required. However, you do not need to see additional confirmation from NARIC where the:
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted
• degree was awarded by a UK university
If the qualification has not previously been used for an immigration application, or the previous application was refused, the applicant must obtain confirmation from NARIC that it meets the relevant criteria.
Can we assume that there’s an implicit "or" (rather than "and") between the two bullet points? i.e.
• Home Office have previously accepted a degree qualification as meeting the requirements for an earlier application, and leave was granted or
• degree was awarded by a UK university
See also If your degree was taught or researched in English

Isn't it ironic that these rules and guidance for the English Language requirements are not very clear themselves?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.