ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

naveedcardiff
Newly Registered

Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen

Post by naveedcardiff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:09 am

Dear Sir/Madam

I hope you are fine. My wife will get hopefully indefinite leave to remain (ILR) next week as her application is approved today at premium visa center based on the long residency (LR) 10 year route. I am British citizen since April 2016 and we married in the Aug 2012. She was on the spouse visa last 4 years and Initial 6 years she was on the student visa.

According to the below links can she apply for naturalization/citizenship immediately once she has ILR or she has to wait for one year as I waited in my case??

Can you please guide about my understanding.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse

https://www.gov.uk/british-citizenship

Thanks
Naveed

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Apply for citizenship if your spouse is a British citizen

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:15 am

She can apply now if she meets the spouse of BC 3 years requirements.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

naveedcardiff
Newly Registered

Post by naveedcardiff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Dear Moderator

Thanks for your kind reply. I am slightly confused. You mentioned "She can apply now if she meets the spouse of BC 3 years requirements"

My Query is

3 Years starts from when we married in the Aug 2012 when I was on Tier 2 and she was on student visa. She is in the UK since Sept 2008.

or

3 years starts from when I became BC in April 2016 and she will get ILR next week.

Kind Regards
Naveed

MYA

Post by MYA » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm

Start from the date when you married, doesn’t matter when you got citizenship.

Secondly you can apply now by submitting the decision letter that she has been granted ILR from the date you attended PEO.

If you could wait for her BRP that’s your choice , but if you are desperate then you can submit ILR decision letter.