ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German National about to apply for UK citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Shlumaan

German National about to apply for UK citizenship

Post by Shlumaan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Hi there,

My name is Ania. I am a German national. I obtained my PR and passed the Life in the UK exam in order to apply for UK citizenship. I am concerned about the timeline to make the application. I read on the German embassy website that citizenship obtained after end of March 2019 will mean losing my German nationality which I do not want to happen. I have now about 5 months before the Brexit takes place and would like to know about the certainty of receiving my citizenship in time before March 2019. Can anyone comment on that? I also read on the UK GOV website that applications take about six months. Adding the Brexit period can I be certain that if I apply now I won't end up losing my German nationality?

Any thoughts will be most appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: German National about to apply for UK citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Hallo Ania, the six months quoted by the Home Office is the standard answer they give (SLA).
Currently some applications take just one or two months, so you should be ok if you apply now. Have you held your PR for one year post exercising treaty right? Or have you acquired PR more than six years ago? You will not automatically lose your German Citizenship on the stroke of midnight 29.3.2019. The German Government has introduced a draft law which covers the transition period which is envisaged by the UK and EU, lasting until mid 2020.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Shlumaan

Post by Shlumaan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi and thank you for such quick reply. But how reliable is the German draft law? Is it 100% certain at this stage or dependant on all sorts of brexit and internal German politics? If its safe to rely on then would you say in alright to plan the application for say July 2019? I'm only asking since my husband who is non-EEA national is about to extend his RC for PR under EU route and I would like to hold off my citizenship application until he gets his PR so not to risk his entitlement under EU law if that makes sense. In short if the draft law is reliable can I safely park my application till next year and not risk losing my German nationality? Can you provide a link that supports such certainty? Many many thanks. Ania

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi Ania, as alterhase58 said the times quoted by the Home Office is a standard answer.

I applied for citizenship on 10/07/18 and received a letter of approval dated 31/08/18 on 07/09/18, I organised a private ceremony and completed everything on 12/09/18. So just over two calender months.

The folowing is the draft law if you have not seen it, https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/auss ... tz/2119360. worth a read.

Of course all bets will be off if there is no agreement on Brexit with the EU, what happens then is still up in the air for almost everything including EU citizens.

On my recent experience you still have time but that could run out if you delay, but nothing is guaranteed so best of luck whatever option you take.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 am

Recommend you apply ASAP if you meet all the requirements, irrespective of what happens in the current negotiations. UK Nationality law will not be affected by Brexit. As mentioned by previous poster a lot of things are still "in the air".
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:15 pm

Just re-read your original post. I think that nothing is certain with the Home Office and the time scale for granting citizenship. If an application takes a long time, for whatever reason, and things go pear shape it could be that if you became a UK citizenship post Brexit (a bad or no deal one) it would lead to losing your German Citizenship.

However, you do not become a British Citizen until you have attended a Citizenship Ceremony. So if like me you were not prepared to lose German citizenship, my plan was that if the approval letter was after Brexit and I stood to lose my German nationality I would have just not bothered to go to the Ceremony or withdrawn my application. I know that would have cost lots of £££££ but that was my plan.

If you have the paperwork in place, as alterhase58 says, apply ASAP as your best chance of success in getting British and retaining German citizenship.

Shlumaan

Post by Shlumaan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 am

Thank you guys for all the brilliant info plus advice. I hope it helps others in my shoes. I have really decided to take it one day at a time, and not rush it. I have my PR since last year so the worse that can happen I won't apply for British citizenship. So what? I care more about being a German and EU national so won't give it up. If all goes pear shape later, I can always apply first for the Beibehaltungsgenehmigung. Given my three kids are all German nationals and our frequent family visits to Germany I doubt it'll be hard to prove my loyalty and hence obtain two nationalities safely after Brexit.

nehaniran12
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by nehaniran12 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 pm

hI,

i'M GERMAN National too. I was thinking the same like you, took a risk, applied for naturalization on the 25th of August 2018. I received an approval letter on the 11th of October, 2018. So never leave your hope. Try it.

Send you the best wishes :)