ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renewal spouse visa with maiden name

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ann234
Newly Registered
Korea South

Renewal spouse visa with maiden name

Post by ann234 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi,

I am due to renew my spouse visa next month and I have got few questions.

1. I didn't know that we had to prove 2.5 years of address as I thought it was only for last 6 months of the visa renewal. Managed to find some but there are few missing for certain months. Can I still get documents such as bank statement or gas bills etc online and print off? Also, can insurance company letter be one of the documents? it still has my name, address and date.

2. I changed my surname on my debit card, work and insurance etc after I got the visa as I still could prove it with the marriage certificate but my passport and BRP are still under my maiden name. The reason is that we don't change our surnames after marriage in my country so changing to married name and getting a new passport isn't acceptable. I want to be known as my married name and it's a lot easier for me to live in the UK. All my documents are under my married name. would it be a problem when I apply for a renewal the fact that I have been using my husband's surname and haven't changed it on my passport? I know I have to apply for the new visa with my maiden name though. Shall I explain this in a covering letter?

3. I had provided wedding photos, chat histories, general photos etc when I applied for the first visa, do I again need to provide them these or can I just prove with 2.5 years letters that have address on and few important documents?

4. I got my first visa in march 2016 and we moved to our new house in may 2016. We got rid off all old letters since we moved to our new house so i can only prove the address from may 2016. Is it still ok? or Do I have to prove from mach 2016?

If you can help me with these questions, it will be very helpful!

Thanks

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Re: Renewal spouse visa with maiden name

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm

1. Yes as much as you can dig out
2. Explain name change with any proof of it in additional information section
3. No need that's what number 1 is for
4. It's only 2 months, should be ok
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

ann234
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by ann234 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, that was quick!

What can the proof be of name change? All I have is the marriage certificate. I haven't got any passport or BRP under my married name. Would that be still acceptable?

ann234
Newly Registered
Korea South

Post by ann234 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Londoner007 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:34 pm
1. Yes as much as you can dig out
2. Explain name change with any proof of it in additional information section
3. No need that's what number 1 is for
4. It's only 2 months, should be ok

I didn't know I could reply of this quote. I got another question if you can help me.

I just found out that I didn't change my address on BRP. Would it be a problem when I apply for a renewal? I didn't change the name as my passport is still under my maiden name and I heard that BRP and passport names are supposed to match. Sorry for too many questions.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 pm

No, just explain in extra information
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 am

ann234 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

I didn't know I could reply of this quote. I got another question if you can help me.

I just found out that I didn't change my address on BRP. Would it be a problem when I apply for a renewal? I didn't change the name as my passport is still under my maiden name and I heard that BRP and passport names are supposed to match. Sorry for too many questions.
I think the HO will only follow the name on passport although marriage certificate is a proof of name change. So ideally before applying extension the name on passport should be updated.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.