ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

slightly O/T - Schengen / other visa's once in the UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Davi
Newly Registered

slightly O/T - Schengen / other visa's once in the UK

Post by Davi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 pm

Slightly off topic, but Visa related so hopefully someone can help. My wife is on the 5 year route, currently has her first 2.5 yr residency permit.
We'd really like to go on holiday somewhere warm, but we get so much conflicting info that I think the only option is to get a Schengen Visa. Only problem is we won't know till the last minute when we can go due to my work. Is it possible to get a Schengen Visa without having booked travel and accommodation? I'd rather not pay a couple of thousand pounds for a holiday we don't know if we can go on, either from the visa perspective or the time perspective!

vinny

Re: slightly O/T - Schengen / other visa's once in the UK

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm

The spouse of a British citizen is currently exempt from those requirements under the Directive.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Davi
Newly Registered

Post by Davi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:38 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm
The spouse of a British citizen is currently exempt from those requirements under the Directive.
That is what we had been told, but when I contacted Spanish embassy, They asked to see her residency permit and immediately responded that she would need a visa. Is there anything we can carry to prove she doesn't need one?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm

vinny wrote:
Vinny mentioned that the spouse of a British citizen is exempt from the requirements, not the visa itself.

Your wife needs a Schengen visa. But the requirements are different. She needs to prove that she will be accompanying or joining an EEA citizen (you) in another EEA member-state, that's all.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Davi
Newly Registered

Post by Davi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:06 am

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:42 pm
vinny wrote:
Vinny mentioned that the spouse of a British citizen is exempt from the requirements, not the visa itself.

Your wife needs a Schengen visa. But the requirements are different. She needs to prove that she will be accompanying or joining an EEA citizen (you) in another EEA member-state, that's all.
Ahhhhh! Now I get it, sorry late nights and early mornings for work aren't making me the brightest bulb in the pack at the moment lol.

Russell59

Post by Russell59 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm

My Wife is a Non EU National and i am a UK Citizen last Month we decided to visit Belgium for a long Weekend,we did n not have a Schengen Visa for Belgium but took our Marriage Certifacte and Hotel Booking proof with us also a copy of the EU directive regarding the rights of a non EU Family Member travelling with their spouse..Happy to say that the French Border Police at the Tunnel were very courteous and after a few simple questions we we allowed to go on our way without even having to show our paper work...Happy Days

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:25 am

Russell59 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm
My Wife is a Non EU National and i am a UK Citizen last Month we decided to visit Belgium for a long Weekend,we did n not have a Schengen Visa for Belgium but took our Marriage Certifacte and Hotel Booking proof with us also a copy of the EU directive regarding the rights of a non EU Family Member travelling with their spouse..Happy to say that the French Border Police at the Tunnel were very courteous and after a few simple questions we we allowed to go on our way without even having to show our paper work...Happy Days
That approach may work if you are traveling by land/ferry, as you are dealing directly with the border authorities. However, people have reported missing flights because the flight staff would not let them board without an explicit visa. Better safe than sorry.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.